Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 4 2.5 inch red bellies. I am going to buy a testing kit. Does anyone know a good ones?? Also can someone list the amount of things i need to test (nitrites, ammonium, PH etc.). Also, i went to the store to look at some kits and notice many kits only test nitrite and ph levels. Are most kits like this? so i need to buy kits and then also other products which chnage the chemicals in my tank. Also, how often should i do tests?? after each water change?? THANKS

·
Registered
316 Posts
Burstout13 said:
i have 4 2.5 inch red bellies. I am going to buy a testing kit. Does anyone know a good ones?? Also can someone list the amount of things i need to test (nitrites, ammonium, PH etc.). Also, i went to the store to look at some kits and notice many kits only test nitrite and ph levels. Are most kits like this? so i need to buy kits and then also other products which chnage the chemicals in my tank. Also, how often should i do tests?? after each water change?? THANKS
Get a kit that tests, PH, Nitrite, Nitrate, and Ammonia, and you will be good.

·
Registered
219 Posts
do they have test kits that test nitrate, nitrite, ph, and ammonia all in one? i dont think so, and if they do im sure there very expensive. but im sure there are kits which would test at last 2 at the same time. I bilive if youre just starting to cycle your tank, its reccomended that you test levels every other day, and if you have an established tank, then test once a week. But sounds like youve done the cycling etc. I do my tests an hour or so after my weekly water change
Oh and i dont think you should buy too many or any "products to change the chemicals". Things like ammonia and nitrite you should fix with water changes, and good filtration. Ph of course you can buy things like wood or shells to increase or decrease. But try putting as little into yourr water as possible.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Honestly I only do test for pH and I only check that every so often, not with everywater change, but every other usually.
Just keep on top of the water changes once your tank has become established.

another thing to constantly check for in your water would be your temperature, you want to keep that as consistant as possible :
:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info. I will probably get a testing kit. one more question: i change the water once a week and i use a gravel vacuum (the manual ones) to suck out the gunk in the gravel. after i do this the tank still seems a bit murky and there is definitelt still crap at the bottom and some at the top. Are there other cleanings i should do with different devices?? I was wondering whate else i can do. My tank set up: 30 gallon, one peguin filter w/ biowheel, gravel, 2 plants, 1 log. Thanks

·
Registered
295 Posts
Mardel makes a test strip that tests for nitrates,nitrites,hardness,alkalinity,and pH all in one. They got it at petsmart for $12.99 for 25 strips. All you have to do is dip the strip in your tank, wait 30 seconds and compare results to the colors on the container.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Its usual for your water to be a bit cloudy after a water change for a little while, but i think thats just from all the oxygen in the water. and maybe a bit of crap floating around, but if its still looking nasty, i would do a huge water change next week, do like 50% of the water and just clean all the crap off the floor of your tank. Do a really extensive gravel siphoning to try and get as much crap out of it. When i do water changes i dont see stuff at the bottom, im not sure about everyone else though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts