Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading on how sloooo a black grows (1 inch a year, if that) and was just wondering this question:

a baby black is like what $30 bucks or so? and a adult black is around $250 or so right? THESE ARE GIVE OR TAKE FIGURES.

if you buy a baby and wait for it to grow out, other than waiting 10 years, would it be more expensive? cause you figure feeder goldfish, flake food, pellets, mice, etc. cost money, after you add up all the dollar here dollar there is it just cheaper to buy a full grown?

the price difference is about $200 bucks roughly, so if it takes 10 years for that black to grow to an adult, that means $200 divided by 10= $20.00/year. if you buy live feeders $20 bucks a year impossible, so????

·
"The Dancing Banana Man"
7,760 Posts
i wouldnt say a waste ...

but yes i see your point, but isnt half the fun to watch it grow up? What kind of a fish lover are you?

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
It really depends on your personal preference. I am gonna buy a small black this weekend because i just odnt have the tank space to accomidate a big one. I love buying pygos small because tou can observe their growth and development which is pretty fast to 6 inches.

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
Im buying a large rhombeus because the slow growth thing. I always hear they are most agresive when large, I don't want to wait 15 years for that. but I may buy a small one also, but I definitly want at least 1 large one.

it would be more expencive in the long run to raise a rhom for 10 years just to get a larger rhom, thats why even if they could breed them it would be a waste of time, its cheeper to go to peru and catch some.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Bobme, yes i agree watching them grow up is fun. I buy my dogs as puppies, bought my piranhas at the size of a dime, arowanas the size of a finger, etc. almost everything i buy is at its early stage and you can train them, etc.

But i was thinking like nitro and i dont want to wait 15 years or longer waiting and waiting and waiting, then the money thought just popped in my head so i was curious.

Off topic, any dog lovers out here? cause i have rottweilers, pit bulls, and thinking on getting a doberman and i heard you should defintly get these types of dogs at puppy stage. If you go to animal shelters or whatever, you dont know if the dog was abused. I have heard of a few horror stories where the new owner would "resemble" the old abusive owner and the dog just snapped and bit him/her. I wouldnt want a 150lb rottweiler going for my guggular

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
There is nothing more fun that see them rise!

Since you have some dogs i don't understand why are worry about money!

Even if you feed them with live preys, it's cheaper than dog's food and parafernalia!

And if you buy them big...they will die sooner, isn't it?

... then your money is wasted!

So you can try with a middle size!

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
if you buy a larger one you will still have to pay for feeding it, but it will be less likely to live for as long as a smaller one.
I suggest you ask yourself what you want and then get it.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I have a small black and wish I had a larger one. Im not complaining though since I got it for free. Wouldn't it be sweet to have a mutant rhom, that's growth rate matched one of a rbp. I mean it would be ok if it's growth rate slowed down after 5 or 6 inches, Just my dream!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts