Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any idea why my p's have stopped eating as much as they were. Like 2 months ago they went from eating 3-4 shrimp a day to 8 to 10. then withinn the past 3 days they went down to 3 again. I was realy happy cause they started growing realy fast too. any help would be great.

Also nothing has changed I am still cleaning their water every 4 days and the lighting has not changed at all.

· Danger Davo
751 Posts
Ok to begin with we need to know the size of the P's and what the usual feeding pattern is.

Do you feed them every day. when feeding you might notice that some of you fish will eat much more than others which will result in their bellies to hang low. On the second day when you feed them, the guys that over ate might not eat at all. Then the overall consumption of food would reduce drastically.

My advice to you is to skip the feeding for a day or two and then follow the feeding pattern.

Hope this helps and hope I made sense.

· Registered
3,149 Posts
rchan11 said:
As long as they're eating, they're fine.
[snapback]827911[/snapback]​

From my experience my p's when younger (2") were way more active then now (4-5"). I would like to think they consume more food when younger because of this.

I too have noticed that they don't eat as much anymore, just go by what your fish like. For example, my 4 pygo's like to eat about 5-6 shrimp now, couple of months back they ate like 8-9 shrimp...it all depends on them.

I am trying to get them to eat every other day instead of everyday, but there is a little bit more fin nipping than usual, so i'm just taking it one day at a time with my boys. Maybe their not ready for that. i think i will continue my usual once a day feeding of 5-6 shrimp.

· Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry I should have included that I have 4 and they are about 4-5 inches.

I have tried the not feeding them every day but when I get up or off work on the second day the small one has bites taken out of him. so I try to feed them every day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.