Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My plants are the all the ones I hate, they have the plastic tray on the bottom and your supposed to burry that in the gravel. But they never stay put. So I was thinking about ways to sink them and if cement is safe, I would like to make a cement base, on each plant, then put gravel on the cement while its wet to make it look the same as the bottom.

thanx in advance for any advice on whether cement is safe in the tank. I heard there is lime and that might be toxic. So let me know what you think...

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
should be ok so long as it is cured properly. you can always use that stuff that you use to put tiles on walls.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
u could buy fake plants that already have a slate base
If I cant do this with cement(that I already have) then that is my alternative. But I have a buttload of plants already, so if its safe I would like to go that way. Plus the other kind of plants base wont match as well as one covered in the same gravel I have in the tank already.

odyssey, what do you mean by cured properly? like completely dried?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Im a little late on this, but My solution was goin to petco and for a couple dollars they have small flexible weights meant to hold your plant down, just wrap it around the base and bury it. I had to do it with my dempsey and oscar tanks both. another option perhaps you could just use aquarium silicone to glue the rocks directly into the bottom of the plastic "dish" thats on the bottom
goodluck!

·
Registered
551 Posts
i am not sure if this is for concrete or cement but i heard that it can raise your ph massively. might be something to look out for. maybe before you place cement base in your tank put it in a tub of water and test ph after a day

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
cured means, nothing else leeches out of the cement into the water. u might to leave it submerged in some saltwater for a few days.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
i would just put suction cups on the bottom. dig up the gravel, place the plant where u want, and vualla

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
You should be ok as long as you cure the concrete correctly

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Go out and buy yourself some Super Glue Gel. It will cost you $2.00 for a couple small tubes. Then, glue a few rocks, gravel, etc. to the bottom of the plants and your done. That will hold down the plants.

I use the gel glue to place corals in my reef, so it is reef safe. Oh, I have used several different types of it so don't worry about getting one brand.

·
I will bite your face!
7,436 Posts
crap bro you're making alot more work for yourself.
Just epoxy them to the tops of small rocks.. or big rocks or whatever works for you. they make Epoxy specifically for use in aquariums. you can prob grab a tube at your LFS along with some big flat rocks. like river stones. (if you wanna hide the rocks under substrate.)

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok I tried the cement and it didn't set right(pretty old I think), just crumbles and made a mess.

So thanx for some more options, I will look into some aquarium epoxy, or Super Glue Gel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts