Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anybody uses these type of blox? I've seen them at Big als. They say it supposed to have more surface room for bacteria to grow then bio balls. I don't know if they are worth it. They are really spendy.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
they are actually cheaper, you dont need any where near as much, I use the 1x9x9 sheets of it they sell, it is a glass sponge like material, I use 2 sheets ($30) for my 125g tank and they handle it just fine with 6 mde to large pygos in it.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the two sheets you put in place of the bio balls? Does it actually work better that bio balls?

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
yeah, they provide alot more surface area than bio balls do with much less volume, surface area is what makes bio filters work, you need alot of surface area for the bacteria to grow on

this works the same as balls, but takes up less space, is easier to clean and is cheaper if you buy the sheets, they are hard as glass so you mush have a sump big enough for them though

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If is doesn't work better I'll stick with my bio balls. Plus my filter has 30 gallons worth of bio balls.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts