Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 75 with 5 1.5 - 2 inch rbp's, If I add a catfish to help keep the tank a little cleaner what are the chances of survival? I read that they can eat some left over stuff on the tank floor and help water conditions. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
yeah you can get bottom dwellers for the tank, there is no guarentee as sometimes it will work, and sometimes it will not
all i can really recomend is not too get an exspensive one, something like a common pleco will do the trick, good luck
or maybe a chinese algae eater... just make sure the bottom dweller has caves for hiding in and that it isnt an aggresive one

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
My reds went well with an shovelnose catfish. they are awsome for keeping waste down. But dont feel bad when he gets eaten.

·
Registered
219 Posts
i got a common pleco for 5 bucks (canadian) dont know if thats too much or not. But his stupid ass just sits there sucking on one spot on the glass! I havent seen him anywhere else for over a week now, how much crap can there be on one spot! stupid fish, im afraid when the piranas do eat it, hes gonna leave a bigger mess behind than he cleaned.

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
had bad lck with cory cats and fancy pleco's. common pleco's are the only thing that gets left alone

·
im offended and this is tastless,take it down &#33
4,277 Posts
nothigns a gurantee get a siphon and a net !!! other fish may live may not its crapshoot!!

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Plecos are known for outliving any other fish when housed with Ps. Catfish are good, but provided with decent hiding places, they can reside with Ps, comming out at night while they're asleep.

·
Truffle shuffle!!!!!!!
18,670 Posts
the crayfish i put in the tank got eaten to 3 days but he was an idiot he kept on goin after the piranhas.and the catfish was always eating the food i drop in.that is probalby why he is not here anymore.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone, I've been doing some research and I think that I am leaner towards a pleco. Sounds like they have a better shot at life.

At least for a while.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
I think pleco's (they're just tough mofo's that can hold their own) and raphael (or talking) catfish (very secretive, and only come out at night, when the p's are sleeping) are the ones that have most chance to survive for a longer period.
I'm keeping 2 pleco's with my reds for more than a year, 5 raphaels for about half a year. I have a group of cories and a clown pleco's in there as well, also for quite some time, but they are an easier meal than they ones I mentioned earlier, ime.

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
regular pleco or striped raphael cat..but place alot of hiding place for them to run in hide..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.