Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of adding some sort of catfish to my P tank to scavenge left over food. I have had no problems or nips with my pleco and am wandering if anyone has done this. Maybe I can add some other scavenger if you have any suggestions.

-Kevin-

BTW, click on my name (luva40) to see me in action. My first picture test. :rockin:

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
people have done it.but they usually get eaten.sooner or later.and you pic you put ain't work.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
you can't reccomend ant fish to live with piranhas!
all situations are differant.
I have herd of it working with plecos, but I have seen them eaten also.
I also heard of talking catfish working - and i can see how, they have thick armer, and spend their lives stuck in rocks.
I would also suggest short wiskers - cos the piranhas will nip them.
and get a big one, so it can hold its own.
and change the tank design when you add any new fish.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
oh, and the pic doesn't work

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm. the pick works when I click on it. Oh well, no big deal. It's just me dooing a wheelie on my 4 wheeler.

-Kevin-

·
Registered
792 Posts
it can work, it might not. I did it with a pleco and an asian red tailed cat, but my red tail has a couple battle scars. Just don't become attached to the cat cuz chances are they will get eaten. No one is going to give you a straight answer because their isnt one. Its a gamble. I personally didnt really care if I lost the cat so I did it. It worked for me, but I know people who cant even keep snails w/ their piranhas.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
MAD piranhas:
yeah, but you have 41!

Feeder fish33:
you put that red tailed cat in the other day, and ever since you have been asking whether it will recover and if the piranhas will recover from its attacks - I wouldn't class that as a sucsess, just one hasn't died yet!

but it can be done, I don't have any catfish with my piranhas, but I do have a severum with them which remains in-tact after 8 months.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
These experiments with putting other fishes with piranhas will end in failure. The reason why I state this; in several of my attempts lasting almost a year, the fish (be they catfish, small tetras, or even more innocuous like spiny eels that stay hidden) wind up being eaten in the end.

Piranhas are very fussy as to what lives or dies in the aquario. You could indeed have a fish live for a few months, then one day you will look in and see it gone for no apparent reason. Piranhas are unpredicable, that is why they are dangerous.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts