a 40 gal. to a 55 gal. aquarium.They are skittish when
I do a lot of things around their tank.I was wondering
if anyone had any tips on catching them so as not to
injure them or so that they do not crash around in the
tank and injure themselves.Thanks.

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
use 2 nets 1 large one @ 10'' and a smaller one to herd the p's in to the big net.
they will jump and splash around alot so keep the smaller net over the p whilst in the bigger net during the transfer so it does not fall out as this could damage or kill the p
good luck and make sure the new tank is cycled first
dixon

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
also take out all the decor in the tank so they wont harm themselve on it trying to get away from the net stoppes them from hiding behind anything also
dixon

·
Registered
244 Posts
I one time put stress coating in my tank which made them 2x calmer.But if you obsolutely hate having meds in your tank I don't recommend it.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
I heard them into a tupperware bin with a hinged lid, and chase with a net. If you only use nets make sure not to hold them high off the ground, when they chew through (yes even tiny ones will) the fall can kill them easy

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
i've gone throught nets like no tommorrow..it fustrating..use the tupperware method its works for me.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
use a divider to make for less room for them to swim in. You can find eggcrate to use as a divider in the lighting section of a home improvement store.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
piranha 13 said:
use a divider to make for less room for them to swim in. You can find eggcrate to use as a divider in the lighting section of a home improvement store.
especially with 6 ft tanks that have 3 lids, its fun pulling your arms in and out to chase fish that can swim so fast as my Cariba do

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I wait till I have to perform a water change and bring the level down to 50% this gives less swimming room space. Then use a water pitcher to trap them. Saves on having to buy new nets. When you have over 40 natts 8" and larger you try to find ways to save money.

·
rhombeus
3,659 Posts
i like the idea of bringing down the water level, you will get more speed with wich ever method you choose (good luck)

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
SnowCichlid Posted on Mar 24 2003, 06:10 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
strainers that you would use in the kitchen work well too
The problem with strainers (plastic or similar) is they will damage the fine scales.

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
I have always lowered the water level also, especially with a long tank. It all depends on what I am doing. When I am taking down a tank, I push the rocks to one side and then lower the water, which will cut the tank size way down. If I am keeping the tank running, I take about 50% out, much easier to snag with a net.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
I always use nets to catch them (I have caught them only once, though, when I moved): in my experience it's best to lower the net behind a fish that hides apart from the rest, and then gently move the net towards the fish. For some reason it hardly notices the net whem it's behind him... When the net is positioned correctly, a gentle tapping on the glass at the opposite side is enough to have it swim straight into the net.
I didn't lower the water level, though, because that would only cause more panick...

·
Registered
601 Posts
The best method i've experienced is the two net (one large, one small) and bring down the water level as much as possible with you're p's able to still swim around. Don't use bags of any sort because they'll bite through it almost every time. When you do use nets, make the process as quick as possible so they don't have time to go through it. I've had my p's for a month and have gone through two nets. I also find that herding them into a bucket or pail works well aslo. They aren't removed from the water at all if you do this which minimzes the shock they get from transport. Good Luck... Also, if they happen to jump out, faal out or just get out and end up on the floor or something, make sure to have wet (WET) towles around to pick them up with. Be Careful.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts