Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13,105 Posts
Lack of feeding is usually a good thing for adult fish :laugh:

The nitrite that's lingering could be from an ammonia spike. Sometimes that happens after heavy feeding, sometimes with a water change, sometimes with a filter change. It usually stabilizes itself out. I almost think some dechlorinators (ones that 'lock' ammonia) can cause a mild 'blip' in the cycle, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
13,105 Posts
my best advice with an oscar is as stated before. ive kept oscars since i was a child. 15 years or so and never once worried about parameters in the tank aside from the obvious care taking. oscars will thrive in a wide strain of water types and parameters. the trick to keeping an oscar healthy and active is cleaning often. i dont recommend major water changes often, rather, clean uneaten food and waste from the substrate and do so at least every few days. dont do major water changes too often for too long. oscars arent even close to picky with water conditions so long as nothing is out of hand. any well maintained tank will make a fine oscar tank, no special additives needed.
Agreed. I'd only add that you should definitely feed them less than they want you to.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.