Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I'm not going to lie. My Oscar has developed HITH, I caught it very early since I knew about this sickness prior to it developing. It's not because of bad water, I believe it is because of lack of feeding. I have been very busy this last past month because of exams and haven't been feeding it much. How do I cure it? It isn't that big yet, very tiny?

·
Frontosa King
9,990 Posts
lots of water changes is the only method i really know of. if you havent had time to feed then i doubt you have had tme to water change. gravel vac really well when you do

adding a bit of salt wont hurt any either

good luck

Dan

·
^word
4,324 Posts
With most fish, including oscars, a touch of HITH is not a big deal.

The HITH will not kill your fish, and will be nothing but an eye sore. Do alot of water changes and hold out for a while.

·
Banned
14,902 Posts
while under feeding leaves a fish famined and weak lack of food will not usually on set HITH. this is a virus that attacks the fishes flesh and leaves noticable scaring. in many fish, oscars especially, HITH is very common in minor cases and will subside with simple care. do regular water changes and regular diet habits. dont catch up your oscar if you forget a meal. just feed him a stable amount daily twice a day. add some salt to the water and bring the temperature to around 80-82 and add stress coat with your next water change. it will provide him with a added coating on his skin which will ease healing and stress.
the point is neglecting can lead to problems. from here on out make sure you keep your fish that depends ojn you for water to food a good tank. youll have no problem at all. oscars are amazingly strong healers and will survive most anything with simple care.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you.
Also, I did a water change the day I posted this. I then checked my water params after and they're as stated bellow;
-NitrAte: Less then 10.
-NitrIte: 0.1
-Ammonia: 0
My question is, what causes NitrIte? My tank is cycled, there should be no trace of NitrIte correct?
My filtering is a Fluval 304, an AC 500. My Fluval 304 hasn't been cleaned for atleast 4-5 months. Could this be the problem? Yet, keep in mind that I only have an Oscar in there and I bought him when he was about a loonie size. There wasn't much waste being produced up until the 3rd month. My tank size is 55 gallons.

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
Lack of feeding is usually a good thing for adult fish :laugh:

The nitrite that's lingering could be from an ammonia spike. Sometimes that happens after heavy feeding, sometimes with a water change, sometimes with a filter change. It usually stabilizes itself out. I almost think some dechlorinators (ones that 'lock' ammonia) can cause a mild 'blip' in the cycle, but I'm not sure.

·
Banned
14,902 Posts
my best advice with an oscar is as stated before. ive kept oscars since i was a child. 15 years or so and never once worried about parameters in the tank aside from the obvious care taking. oscars will thrive in a wide strain of water types and parameters. the trick to keeping an oscar healthy and active is cleaning often. i dont recommend major water changes often, rather, clean uneaten food and waste from the substrate and do so at least every few days. dont do major water changes too often for too long. oscars arent even close to picky with water conditions so long as nothing is out of hand. any well maintained tank will make a fine oscar tank, no special additives needed.

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
my best advice with an oscar is as stated before. ive kept oscars since i was a child. 15 years or so and never once worried about parameters in the tank aside from the obvious care taking. oscars will thrive in a wide strain of water types and parameters. the trick to keeping an oscar healthy and active is cleaning often. i dont recommend major water changes often, rather, clean uneaten food and waste from the substrate and do so at least every few days. dont do major water changes too often for too long. oscars arent even close to picky with water conditions so long as nothing is out of hand. any well maintained tank will make a fine oscar tank, no special additives needed.
Agreed. I'd only add that you should definitely feed them less than they want you to.

2,170 Posts
I believe it can also be diet related, from lack of variety. My oscar developped HITH awhile back, however I completely stopped it and his scarring has even began to heal. It's true that water quality is always important, especially with a large, very messy fish like an oscar, so plenty of water changes and stable parameters are always beneficial. I feed my oscar green peas, corn, lettuce and banana every now and then to make sure he's getting a well varied diet. I attribute his good health to a) water conditions and b) diet. If you take care of both of those, then the only other possible cause of the illness could be an internal parasitic infection (hexamita?? sp ) I beleive.

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you are running your fluval with carbon, stop using it and fill the compartment with ceramic rings. Carbon has been linked to a possible cause of HITH. I once had a pair of jags that developed HITH and I came across the article that said carbon dust could be a cause. I stopped using carbon and the HITH cleared up. I've never used carbon again and never had a problem. The carbon cause for HITH is only a theory but I beleive it because it worked for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts