Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
ok so im gonna setup a new tank for my marginatus. its gonna be a 20l. with a coralife 2x40watt light fixture an ac 50. i think im gonna try my luck with a dyi co2 ( the 2 liter yeast and sugar method) my substrate will be fluorite and black sand mix. (i like that look) umm and thats all i have right now for equipment.

my question is will this be sufficient to make a full thick carpet of hc or glosso? i really like the way tanks look with really thick carpets. im not 100% sure if hc is the plant that i like, but im open to suggestions.

i want the carpet to cover every inch of the tank. i want the plant to be like an inch or 2 tall. if i have to trim the plants thats not a problem.

i tried to make a "carpet" with micro E tenellus before and the stuff just went crazy it grew in the air and i had to keep re-planting it. i want a plant that will spread quickly, and completely over the bottom.

thanks for reading.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
diy c02 with the yeast fermentation is hard to control/stabalize....but i think you will have some success. If you notice that its not growing the way you want after a few weeks you could add or remove aspects of your setup you accomplish what you want.

I reccomend dwarf sag as a carpet...stuff grows like weeds and sends runners everywhere. I think with proper co2 it ycould look amazing

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
ok so im gonna setup a new tank for my marginatus. its gonna be a 20l. with a coralife 2x40watt light fixture an ac 50. i think im gonna try my luck with a dyi co2 ( the 2 liter yeast and sugar method) my substrate will be fluorite and black sand mix. (i like that look) umm and thats all i have right now for equipment.

my question is will this be sufficient to make a full thick carpet of hc or glosso? i really like the way tanks look with really thick carpets. im not 100% sure if hc is the plant that i like, but im open to suggestions.

i want the carpet to cover every inch of the tank. i want the plant to be like an inch or 2 tall. if i have to trim the plants thats not a problem.

i tried to make a "carpet" with micro E tenellus before and the stuff just went crazy it grew in the air and i had to keep re-planting it. i want a plant that will spread quickly, and completely over the bottom.

thanks for reading.
A few things come to my mind...

That is A LOT of light... that is 4wpg... IMO that is too much and will do more harm than good. I had a cherry shrimp tank with 4wpg with pressurized CO2 and I no longer have it setup cause it was a constant headache. I would highly recommend not using that much, especially not with a DIY CO2 system since you really cannot control the amount as well as you can with a pressurized system. I would suggest cutting it down to 2wpg which is more than enough for most all plants to grow... I grew out my entire Blyxa tank with 1.5wpgs or a little less... as long as you take good care of the tank and provide ferts you dont need massive amounts of light.

So, I would say cut it back to 40watts, so you will have 2wpg, and then you could still use your DIY CO2 setup if you want to.

Now, for carpeting plants. You have to remember that both of the above mentioned plants are stem plants, thus they can grow tall if allowed, and trimming can be very difficult since both are rather delicate plants per say. Personally, I would do the glosso first, if you end up getting it down, then do HC... if the HC all died it would be one expensive experiment gone wrong... you pay a lot of money for a very small piece usually. Glosso is a little easier to get and usually cheaper... I know my LFS keeps it and IMO it looks 100X better than the HC I sold them and they almost killed.

One other though... until the plants get established, if your marginatus gets spooked and stirs up the substrate you could have a lot of replanting to do... not sure how much of a fan you are of having to do that.

Were you planning on adding in any rocks or driftwood or anything?

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol i know that 4wpg is alot. i was gonna shut one lamp off and run 2 wpg. i found the plant that i want, i just dont know what it is. here is a pic of it.
Water Plant Green Rectangle Fluid
anyone know what plant that is on the bottom?

and yes im gonna add a piece of drift wood to the tank. its more like a branch. oh and im gonna keep the marginatus out of the tank until everything roots.

Attachments

·
I will bite your face!
7,436 Posts
I think that is glosso on their tank. I think I read the write up on that tank on one of the plant forums I go to.

Yes 4wpg over that tank is a disaster waiting to happen. even with DIY co2.
Dwarf sag will create a carpet but in a 20l it wont stay dwarf it will most likly go into tall grow mode and reach 4-8".

If you want a low maintenance carpet I would suggest considering dwarf hairgrass. all plants that produce via runners are from time to time going to send some into the "air" but they will root themselves if you give them time or they will detach and float where you can either replant or toss them.

E-tennlus depending if you got pigmy or narrow leaf either one isn't great for a low carpet and personally imo in your tank would be more of a mid ground plant.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think that is glosso on their tank. I think I read the write up on that tank on one of the plant forums I go to.

Yes 4wpg over that tank is a disaster waiting to happen. even with DIY co2.
Dwarf sag will create a carpet but in a 20l it wont stay dwarf it will most likly go into tall grow mode and reach 4-8".

If you want a low maintenance carpet I would suggest considering dwarf hairgrass. all plants that produce via runners are from time to time going to send some into the "air" but they will root themselves if you give them time or they will detach and float where you can either replant or toss them.

E-tennlus depending if you got pigmy or narrow leaf either one isn't great for a low carpet and personally imo in your tank would be more of a mid ground plant.
i have been doing some looking around and i think your right about the dwarf hairgrass (Eleocharis parvulus)
i think im gonna go with that. until i get better with plants. i just have one more question for now. how many 1" plugs do you think will be enough to cover a 20L? 3 should be more than enough right? well at least until it spreads?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts