Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far so good, got my caribe from pedro and put in a cube of frozen talipia and he didnt eat it. Put in bloodworms, he didnt eat it, a piece of turkey breast, no luck, bought 4 small feeder goldfish, he ate 1 within an hour and another one last night. feeders are not that expensive since i work at a pet store but i would like him to eat a variety of food like i hear other people doing. is it because i put the fish in frozen? do i need to thaw it? or is it because he is a loney caribe in a tank with other fish, by the way have not lost any of my other fish.......yet.
please help me figure out what to feed him

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts
What size is this cariba? You may need to starve him for a bit so he will eat the foods that you want him to. Usually once they try the new food a few times and it's an appropriate fish food, they will eat it like any other food.
~Taylor~

*Topic Moved to Feeding and Nutrition Forum*

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
What size is this cariba? You may need to starve him for a bit so he will eat the foods that you want him to. Usually once they try the new food a few times and it's an appropriate fish food, they will eat it like any other food.
~Taylor~

*Topic Moved to Feeding and Nutrition Forum*

·
Is a Boss.
4,236 Posts
you should thaw the food. if you put him with 2 more pygos, most likely he will eat whatever they do. try starving him. goldfish are bad, since you work at a pet store id recommended feeding him mollies or danios after about a 2 weeks quarantine.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
you should thaw the food. if you put him with 2 more pygos, most likely he will eat whatever they do. try starving him. goldfish are bad, since you work at a pet store id recommended feeding him mollies or danios after about a 2 weeks quarantine.

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
1- Good for the cariba that he DIDN'T eat the goldfish, they are not good

2- Pygos are to be kept in shoals, groups of fish 3 or more

3- Always thaw your food befor you give it to the fish

4- Bloodworms are not a staple diet, nor is turkey breast(don't try that again)

5- stick with whitefish fillets, shrimp(raw), beefheart, scallops, catfish nugget, etc

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
i see a problem with #2....pygos dont HAVE to be in shoals.
agree'd....theres nothing saying they NEED to be in shoals...its just a recomendation...try adding 2 more pygo's, even if its 2 caribe, 1 caribe and 1 red, or 2 reds...they can live together, and it would definatly liven up your caribe

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
oh whatever you turds. You all know damn well that pygos are to be kept in shoals. If they are not, they are very timid, and no fun at all. Shoals are to give them comfort. You guys just want to be the one to say otherwise.

?????????- Should you keep pygos in a shoal?

99% of the people on this site, including yourselves WILL say yes to that question, minus the one percent of retards. You know damn well they should be kept in a shoal. You just want to feel important by correcting me, when you should be telling the man to get more pygos.

Fools

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok,
lets see what i've learned so far.
1. no more goldfish
2. thaw my food
3. no more bloodworms or turkey breast
4. add shrimp and other whitefish to his diet.

He is not alone in the tank, but he is the only piranha.
I also keep a black redtail shark, 3 african red eyes, 2 buenos aries, 4 red tail rasboras, a clown loach and a bristlenose. I would like to teach him to eat other than live foods and keep all my other fish.

·
Is a Boss.
4,236 Posts
piranhas aren't community fish, soon enough he will start to eat, or nip and stress your other fish to death. especially since he is only eating live. i would suggest, depending on if you have at least a 75gallon tank, to get rid of the other fish, or find them a diff tank, and add 2 more pygos about the same size. the bristlenose would probably be fine with them though.

·
Caribe > Any Other Piranha
6,351 Posts
oh whatever you turds. You all know damn well that pygos are to be kept in shoals. If they are not, they are very timid, and no fun at all. Shoals are to give them comfort. You guys just want to be the one to say otherwise.

?????????- Should you keep pygos in a shoal?

99% of the people on this site, including yourselves WILL say yes to that question, minus the one percent of retards. You know damn well they should be kept in a shoal. You just want to feel important by correcting me, when you should be telling the man to get more pygos.

Fools
Highlighted in the bold area...ur joking right? do i need to post up a vid of my caribe agian....:laugh:

I gain nothing from proving you wrong, and im not out here to prove you or anyone wrong, just that your information was given as a statement which is NOT true.

"no fun at all when kept alone" there are numerous posts about solitary pygos..not just caribe that do well alone.

No fun? My One caribe has been better than ANY shoal ive ever owned combined...

a shoal of reds = p*ssy to the max

a shoal of caribe = fine, but ur not gonna get the TRUE personality of the pygo when its in a shoal

Mixed shoal (if it has a red belly in there), ur almost ensuring that 90% chance the shoal will be skittish, because once they see that REd belly scatter, the rest will follow.

Im not here to argue with u Leasure'.....chill out

·
Caribe > Any Other Piranha
6,351 Posts
ok,
lets see what i've learned so far.
1. no more goldfish
2. thaw my food
3. no more bloodworms or turkey breast
4. add shrimp and other whitefish to his diet.

He is not alone in the tank, but he is the only piranha.
I also keep a black redtail shark, 3 african red eyes, 2 buenos aries, 4 red tail rasboras, a clown loach and a bristlenose. I would like to teach him to eat other than live foods and keep all my other fish.
you might want to try to feed him Silversides, they sell them frozen in packs of 50-100 at pet stores anywhere from 8 bux to 12 bux for the package....

Oh and get all those other fish out of there!, they will become a quick snack if u leave him in there with the other fish for too long
and make sure the shrimp u give the Caribe is Raw, not Cooked or "ready to eat" shrimp.

depending on its size, if its about 5" or bigger, you can leave the shell on to give its body some carotine* (enhances its color)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've been using raw frozen shrimp that I purchase fresh at walmart. I thaw one out in hot water in a small bowl for a few minutes, deshell it and then cut it up and feed it to my rhom and super red. Both fish love it and will actually come right up to the top of the tank within inches of my hand (scarey thoughts) for the food and keep coming back until there bellies are full. Usually they eat one shrimp each and there is nothing wasted in the tanks. It keeps the tanks very clean and running good. Their diet is almost 98% shrimp and they have been doing fine for a year like this.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts