Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up all,

I recently bought a 2" caribe that had a nice, colorfull red belly. Last night I noticed his color had faded tremendously. Any ideas why? It's a 75g with plants and wood to hide behind (all fake from pet store) and the lighting is wrapped with electric tape. I also have a powerhead and I feed them 2-3 times a day.

My other P's (RB) aren't that red either except for a lil under their gills and also their anal fins. They are about 3"....at what size should they have red bellies?

I feed them frozen beefheart, frozen brine shrimp, occassionally whole shrimp or fish fillet or feeders. If any more info is needed just let me know. Thanks. Any ideas?

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Piranha's (as well as many other fish) loose their coloration at night, so it's normal (unless he keeps pale at day time). I think it's a defensive measure, to not attract the attention of night predators...

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
Could be from ammonia burn, water chem, stuff they are eating, background/gravel color, and defensive measure as said fromm judazz and also mood.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
I would be willing to guess that since you said it occured at night, that your fish were just sleeping. It seems that when fish go into a slumber state, they for some reason, loose thier color. Sometimes they can go completely white, loosing all color, and appearing to be almost different fish.

~Dj

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
InSinUAsian said:
I would be willing to guess that since you said it occured at night, that your fish were just sleeping. It seems that when fish go into a slumber state, they for some reason, loose thier color. Sometimes they can go completely white, loosing all color, and appearing to be almost different fish.

~Dj
Agree..

If this isnt the reason because it was in its sleeping stage.. water conditions, feeding, gravel coloration, or even health factors play a roll in your Ps coloration.

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
RhomZilla said:
InSinUAsian said:

~Dj
Agree..

If this isnt the reason because it was in its sleeping stage.. water conditions, feeding, gravel coloration, or even health factors play a roll in your Ps coloration.
yep

dixon

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
RhomZilla said:
Agree, seems nothing to worry about at all...
!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts