Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i have 6 - 6" caribes. approx how long will it take to get them in the 8" range. i cant wait for them to get bigger. thanks in adavance, karl

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
hhhhmmmm well.... hows bigs your tank,what do you feed them?? how often? it all depends. if you got them in a decent size tank and you feed them everyday or lots. you can proubly get them to 8" within a few months. but all depends on the fish and if they have been stunted or in a small tank for along time. it depends on lots and lots of things man also water conditions. but good luck feed them lots and take care of your tank and it will happen faster then you can blink an eye.

ALSO

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi, they are in my 240g tank. i feed them catfish almost every day. any ideas of anything thta will make them grow super fast???????????

·
Registered
8,417 Posts
put heater to around 80 then feed them tons,waterchanges to keep it clean

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
As stated above, growth rates depend of numerous things. The individual fish, their genes, tank size, diet, water quality, etc... As above, you can help by having preteen water quality. Then, larger water changes at least biweekly. Increase the water temp between 80-82 degrees. Granted, with the increase water temp you also run the risk of increased aggression between them, so keep an eye on them. Vary their diet more then just catfish (any white fish fillets will work). You could also use supplemental vitamins to their food. Other than that, it is up to the fish.

Why are you so interested in getting them to 8" in lieu of their current 6"?

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
how big is your powerhead?

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
imo, powerheads help alot

·
Caribe > Any Other Piranha
6,351 Posts
could you give me your opinions on this please...im looking to learn more
[/quote]

powerheads move water, thus making the fish constantly move in place or around the tank, which burns up calories and builds their overall body and makes them hungrier because they burned up all that energy....

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
DAWGZ sounds right im also going to look into gettting a power head. what do you think for a 75gal?

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
DAWGZ sounds right im also going to look into gettting a power head. what do you think for a 75gal?
Something aroung 300 gph. Make sure you get the ones that shoot air into the water as well, or can hook an air pump to it, because don't forget that the more oxygen in the water, the better the growth as well.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
As stated above, growth rates depend of numerous things. The individual fish, their genes, tank size, diet, water quality, etc... As above, you can help by having preteen water quality. Then, larger water changes at least biweekly. Increase the water temp between 80-82 degrees. Granted, with the increase water temp you also run the risk of increased aggression between them, so keep an eye on them. Vary their diet more then just catfish (any white fish fillets will work). You could also use supplemental vitamins to their food. Other than that, it is up to the fish.

Why are you so interested in getting them to 8" in lieu of their current 6"?
this is the best answer by far. Good job coldfire like always.

hhhhmmmm well.... hows bigs your tank,what do you feed them?? how often? it all depends. if you got them in a decent size tank and you feed them everyday or lots. you can proubly get them to 8" within a few months. but all depends on the fish and if they have been stunted or in a small tank for along time. it depends on lots and lots of things man also water conditions. but good luck feed them lots and take care of your tank and it will happen faster then you can blink an eye.
Do not feed everyday or lots. Your piranhas will grow but will also become obese and you will put them in some serius health risk.

Piranhas at about 6" should only be fed 2 at the most 3 times a week.

hi, they are in my 240g tank. i feed them catfish almost every day. any ideas of anything thta will make them grow super fast???????????
you need to varry(spelling) their diet. Any other type of white fish filet,shrimp,calamri,octopus, krills and pellets will not only help your fish grow but also improve their colors.

put heater to around 80 then feed them tons,waterchanges to keep it clean
Like I said, do not over feed or your fishes will become obese.

Water changes are very good. They will help your fish grow and keep the water quality good.

Powerheads do not help the fish grow. An experiment was conducted by a member where he was able to show that powerheads do not improve the growth rate of your Piranhas. However, adding a powerhead will create a current in your tank and your piranhas will have a constant form of excerisce and will be healthier. So adding a powerhead would be a good idea.

Feed heavily as often as possible.
Please don't follow this advice. Look through the picture and video forum and you will see a perfect example of what a piranha is Not suppose to look like. And the proud owner of those obese piranha is no other then RB_32.

Hater

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
i am trying something new with my rhom. i have a 48x24in 100g and i have a 1000gph+ head in there and turn it off at night for him to sleep. the water movement is outrageous and he is more active/aggressive than ever.
to answer your Q it depends on what u have in there, pygo's prefer less water movement and serra"s especaily bigger growing ones ie.manny or rhom, because they stay in faster moving water in the wild.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
maybe this weekend ill grab a power head...im probably going to petland, i got 4 caribe (5 1/2 -6") and 2 reds (1 6 1/4", and 5 1/2") in an 80g with a 48"x24"x15 1/2" (LxWxH)..any specific submersival model anyone could recomend?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts