Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are a genious!!!

Nah, seriously for a Super large tank. Like 300g but I am also gonna have other pygos in there. See my Mixed Pygo thread.

I'm asking b/c at first I wanted 7 b/c I heard that was a good # for Cariba. But considering the size tank I'd need for the Cariba plus the other Pygo's I want...I'd be looking at a 400g acrylic tank. I just did some research on tank prices and I'd be lookin' at a $3,000 tank.

So naturally, I still want a mixed shoal but I kinda would like to cut back on the # of Cariba, thus reducing the tank size I'd need and saving a lil' $$$

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
I'd go with 1 for every 30 -40 gallons for a good spacious home. You could put more but then tempers will rise. 20 gallons per adult fish is minimum.
But if you add piraya. then that will go to a higher gallon ratio because of the size they reach. About40-50 for piraya to keep them from being cramped.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
As long as you have at least 3 total fish, # of caribe wont matter. You can mix and match all you want, but you have to at least have 3 total Pygos in the tank.

~Dj

·
Beautiful One
8,798 Posts
That is quite a lot of money atleast for me right now anyway. I hope everything works for you so how many then are looking to get how about 5 cariba and 5 pygos? Wait how many pygos do you have?

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
Also people have overstocked even myself. But let me say that with my fish being that cramped that one swing in the other direction and it could be a loss or two or even more. So it's up to you. I personally like to keep numbers down.

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
There will be always fin nippin with Caribas due to their territorial behaviour...just keep them well fed...!

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Im sure overstocking Caribas can be done to a minimal, compared to overstocking RBs. Im for certain though that you will see threads in the near future about this topic. I also will be housing 5 Caribas with 3 huge RBs in a 125. We have so many enthusisits willing to experiment with Ps, we've become our own scientists.

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
I dont understand, what is the experiment. You dont think people have had numerous cariba in a tank before? I dont think cariba need any more space than any other pygo. Mine dont take up any more room than my reds that are the same size. The larger cariba take more room, but so does the larger nattereri. The larger the pygo the larger the territory they claim.
People have been keeping piranhas for a long time, I doubt we are doing anything that has not already been done or tried many times before.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Im talking about personal experiments. It has been successfull by some, disasterous with others. I was merely stating that, even though we know the rule of what would be best and compatible # of Ps in a tank, we're doing our own experimenting to see if we do succeed or fail. Plus you will see more future postings regarding this subject because more and more people will try and be doing it.

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
You can put however many you want in your tank. There is no rule. I do like the overcrowding if i say so myself. With overcrowding, you have to look out a lot of time in case anything goes bad. Its a 50/50 chance something will go wrong.

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
InSinUAsian said:
As long as you have at least 3 total fish, # of caribe wont matter. You can mix and match all you want, but you have to at least have 3 total Pygos in the tank.

~Dj
good advice ..don't go with only two ..you might end up with one beat up one or dead one

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.