Piranhas Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this evening I should finally be able to complete my Cariba shoal. I am picking up a 10" and a 7" Cariba for a total of 5 (one 7", two 9" and two 10") in my 125g tank

I have been searching for these bad boys for a while now and finally found them (they actually found me, the email fairy god mother)

I will get some pics once they adapt to the new surroundings

I may have a problem though, my 10"er I have now will most likely have competition for alpha P which has never happened before and he is one mean mofo

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
Good luck with the initial bickering. Hopefully none will be injured. Sounds like you are going to have one kick a$$ shoal nate.

Joe

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Mike, Cariba need more room than other pygos, I am thinking 5 will be too many in my tank. Cariba are very territorial, my alpha male takes up about half of my 125g to himself for most of the day until he decides to shoal.

however it depends with what size fish you start with, mine are all fairly large except the one new one I am getting that is 7"

Single specie shoal tend to act different than mixed ones, they generally feed more aggressively and shoal nicer. There are a few other things but I dont remember right now, ask Knifeman he is the one I talked to about this at length with several times.

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
I think they will be fine.......I dont see how they are going to act much different than reds. I figure I will be fine with the number I said, I cant speak for certain though as I have never kept caribe before.

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
We will see how they do, I will let you know of my results of an overstocked caribe tank. Hopefully I will get them all around 2-3 inches.

-mike

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Xenon said:
We will see how they do, I will let you know of my results of an overstocked caribe tank. Hopefully I will get them all around 2-3 inches.

-mike
7 at that size wont be a problem I am refering to adults

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
Yeah I am going to get them small and hopefully they will be completely tolerant of each other as they grow up. This is what happened with the oscar that lived with the Mouse Video red bellies until its death this year (by disease). I have no basis for the statement above....thats why I am trying to establish it with this new shoal. Ill let you know in 6 months how its working out...lol

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bought mine at 3" and they hate eachother, not really but they are pretty territorial and aggressive with eachother compared to all the other pygos in my opinion,

you will love them though, besides, if you have to you can sell them off later and actually profit from them :biggrin:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.