Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, i have a question and it may sound kinda odd.........I recently added a Cariba in the tank with my Ternetzi and 2 reds and since then the Tern and Cariba have been hanging around each other a lot showing no aggression towards each other, but acting aggressive towards the other reds, and what's got me is that the cariba and Tern will go face to face and open there mouths wide and wiggle there body's 2 or 3 times back and forth without swimming away, has anyone had this happen or know what they are doing? also, the ternetzi has gotten a little darker, same with the Cariba

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
It's called "body wagging", an aquarist term. And probably a territory dispute.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Honda99_300ex said:
OK, i have a question and it may sound kinda odd.........I recently added a Cariba in the tank with my Ternetzi and 2 reds and since then the Tern and Cariba have been hanging around each other a lot showing no aggression towards each other, but acting aggressive towards the other reds, and what's got me is that the cariba and Tern will go face to face and open there mouths wide and wiggle there body's 2 or 3 times back and forth without swimming away, has anyone had this happen or know what they are doing? also, the ternetzi has gotten a little darker, same with the Cariba
yeah my cariba do it all the time, its a sign of aggression in my opinion

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Its probly a sign of aggression, due to the lack of tankspace. A 55 for the 4 might be pushing it a little, thus the reason for the teritory disputes.

~Dj

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
InSinUAsian said:
Its probly a sign of aggression, due to the lack of tankspace. A 55 for the 4 might be pushing it a little, thus the reason for the teritory disputes.

~Dj
I really dont think thats the problem (lack of space) animals are territorial regardless of space. One animal always thinks another is getting to close regardless of how much space is available or how much space one has claimed

hell I am even territorial of my possesions

A tank re-arrange may help like RCR suggests

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
I would do something quick because we all know the temper that Tony has.....didnt he attack the filter intake the other day?

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ya, I did some re-arranging and added some new plants and a big piece of wood(that they LOVE!!) and they are still doing it, but not fighting......And ya, Tony attacked the powerhead when they were swimming in the current, and the cariba tends to attack the light on the heater, Man I have a weird bunch

1 - 11 of 11 Posts