Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How important is carbon to help circulate water in a tank? Who uses it beside folks with external filters and how effective would it help to clear up water?

·
The ASSMAN
20,570 Posts
You don’t need it at all; I don’t use it and have very clear water. It may help to take out odor or cloudy water, but I don’t know. I do know it is very useful to take out chemicals like medications. Other than that, I don’t know the benefits, if any, of using carbon on a daily basis.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SnowCichlid said:
are you talking about activated carbon as a filter media?
Yeah, active carbon for a filter media on a Magnum 350 filteration.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
I use active carbon in my canister (together with ceramic pipes, cotton balls, and filter pads), and I never had any trouble with the water.

It's not necessary to keep your tank healthy (although I do recommend everyone to have a little carbon around), but it doesn't hurt to use it next to other filter media (if you use blackwater extract or peat as filter media: keep in mind that it will remove the coloration from the water, and it might remove some of the nutrients those two media types add to the water as well).
Like others said, carbon is very useful to remove certain unwanted chemicals from the water (like medicines, after you have treated fish, or metals).

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
I only use carbon to remove unwanted chemicals from the water, like meds after treatment, or your accidently dropped something in the tank you shouldnt have, etc, etc

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
I don't use carbon, and I don't need to either

·
OPEFE
10,250 Posts
I never use it since i've never need it...

and i really don't think you need carbon at all to clear up water!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I use active carbon with my filter media and I have no problems it does not cloud my water and has never caused anything possibly horrible

1 - 13 of 13 Posts