11,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok experts what do these terms mean:

thermo clean

magna flux

polish the crank

grind the crank

deck the block/ block got decked

what effects will doing the thermoclean+magnaflux+polish the crank+deck the block do? I was told it will increase MPG and make the engine run better than ever. Is this hogwash or true?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
magnaflux is a chemical used to find cracks on non-aluminum parts such as heads, block, and etc.

polish the crank i guess means having the crankshaft polished so it looks shiny but never heard of some1 doing that. polishing the valve covers, ic piping, intake manifold, misc. parts under the hood is usual but not the crank

·
Registered
131 Posts
The crank would be the crank shaft but why you'd spend money polishing it is beyond me, magnaflux and thermo clean look likethey are to find leaks in the head and carbon removal respectively don't quote me on that though. Whoever your dealing with speaks very bad 'car'. Easiest thing to do is get a gas enhancer and injector cleaners one tank of premium and take a trip on the freeway equal to a tank. This will usually clean out carbon buildup in your cylinders and betwen the valves. POlishign all that stuff wouldn't hurt but it would sure cost alot to take it out and put it back in. I don't think its worth it.

POlishign the crank could also mean the crank case in which case it would make your egine more shiny...

·
my sister is #1 best prostitute
10,514 Posts
Fido said:
Ok experts what do these terms mean:

thermo clean

magna flux

polish the crank

grind the crank

deck the block/ block got decked

what effects will doing the thermoclean+magnaflux+polish the crank+deck the block do? I was told it will increase MPG and make the engine run better than ever. Is this hogwash or true?

[snapback]917009[/snapback]​
i guess the magna flux is what others explained, i dont see the poin of polishing the crank or grinding the crank..

decking the block or block got decked, this is something ive heard for honda engines its because the water jackets around the cyclinders are very open to allow for alot of water flow, but this can allow the cyclinders to shift around if you try to increase the compression ratio, decking is usually done for all motor natuaral asperated high comression motors or turbo motors runing high boost, basically the press a plate in around the cyclinders creating the "deck" this is meant to reinforce the cyclinders so the dont move around under i high pressure. the "deck" has ports in it to allow th coolant to still flow freely in the block.. this is why the h22 honda motor from the prelude is a better motor to swap into civics if your going to do heavy mods since the b16's and other 1.6 liter honda motors are open deck..

·
Go Bucks!
3,164 Posts
You polish and grind cranks to make them as balance as can be. A balance crank will make more HP. Unbalanced cranks have a tendence to look like a "snake" at high RPM.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
cooldudectd said:
Polish the crank??? WTF? Sounds like something I ask my fiancee to do.
[snapback]917659[/snapback]​
your fiancee or your financer?

On a serious note don't forget to adjust the flux capacitor with a with a hermeticaly sealed 16/16" chromolly left handed spanner wrench.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
sccavee said:
You polish and grind cranks to make them as balance as can be. A balance crank will make more HP. Unbalanced cranks have a tendence to look like a "snake" at high RPM.
[snapback]918487[/snapback]​
Very true. Oscillations (snaking) rob horsepower and can wear stuff out in a hurry.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
cooldudectd said:
I was just a joke. Get the stick out of your ass.

Nobody jokes here in the lounge....news to me.
[snapback]918023[/snapback]​
you can call it a joke but i usually laugh at jokes

·
G'Dam Mudda Fokka
3,217 Posts
SirOneEighty said:
If filo is talking about his beater, it will be awefully hard to clean the injectors.

Carburated.
[snapback]918349[/snapback]​
both of his trucks are carburated. but i think the questions were for the beater. we're gunna redo the engine, and use the trooper as the DD.

·
Registered
11,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks guys. Here is the original post by the man trying to help me out...

I think I'm at about 9.5:1 on my IC392 I built and installed in my tow rig.

I didn't shave the heads - I stroked the crank and decked the block .036" to 0-deck it.

Ran it on 85-octane ~14-15,000lbs to Colorado n' back last summer with no pinging problems.. running 12BTDC.. though I just replaced the distributor and at 8BTDC it wanted to ping unloaded when I got on it, so I'm down around 5 BTDC at the moment.

Gets ~10mpg at 75mph empty, and 6.75mpg pulling the trailer.. at 75mph.. up the hills..

You'll gain more compression by decking the block than you will by milling the same amount from the head, since the block bore is bigger than the head chamber.

I'm pretty pleased.
mind you this is a 392 he is talking about on a 5500lb truck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts