Piranhas Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ive got some 12" JL audios.. Huge fan .. But I have no room In my truck, so I put in a 10" mtx that fits in a full size ext. cab. Sounds all right, but nothing compares with the JL's though..

·
Registered
38 Posts
kenwood 919 or something like that, the cd player they advertise in car mags. (got it a month ago)

Running off RF 500x:
1 jl w3

actually running off the head unit:
cirwin vega 6x8 in the doors
infinity ref 4x6 in the rear

yes i know the 500x is a 4 ch. but i am lazy and dont want to rip everything out just to rewire

all in a hatch

the amp an subs dont really ever come on unless i want to out bump the homies next to me at a stoplight.

I just enjoy my music, i am getting too boring to be bumping everywhere i go now.

·
...just back for a bit to catch up...
5,969 Posts
this is what i had in my pimpin '90 dodge caravan....

2 12" infiniti kappa perfects 5.1 encompassed in 2 sealed non-brand sub boxes
pioneer 760w amp powering subs
pioneer 540w amp powering speakers
inifiniti 6x9 kappa 3-way speakers (693.31 seriers)...2 in back trunk door
inifinit 5 1/4 component set with tweeters
rockford 1 fraud cap
JVC 50wX4 headunit (i know its a weak headunit, but i was still bumpin)

....i wanted to compete in the HIN audio competition but couldn't make it to last years competition....was gonna enter as caravanpimpin

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
My car has officialy hit 148.3 in competition before, and is capable of hiting 153 DB nearer the floor up front. I am using 2 HE2 dual voice voice coil fosgate subs @ 15" each and powered by a 1500W RMS monoblock MTX amp.

Next setup I do I will lean more towards SQ then SPL. Right now I am doing a nice mixture, I still hae a nice set of top of the line Excellon components up front with a nice crosover unit with them. I have all kinds of other stuff but will not list it unless you are interested.

Now let me go and find those pictures for you :smile:

·
Registered
19,249 Posts
SnowCichlid said:
My car has officialy hit 148.3 in competition before, and is capable of hiting 153 DB nearer the floor up front. I am using 2 HE2 dual voice voice coil fosgate subs @ 15" each and powered by a 1500W RMS monoblock MTX amp.

Next setup I do I will lean more towards SQ then SPL. Right now I am doing a nice mixture, I still hae a nice set of top of the line Excellon components up front with a nice crosover unit with them. I have all kinds of other stuff but will not list it unless you are interested.

Now let me go and find those pictures for you :smile:
Why in gods name would you want a system that loud.....wont that blow out your drums?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok to clear up xenon's about blowing ear drums out. It's not about being so loud, as you get across the freq. band in audio there are many dips and to reporduce sound correctly you have to have top notch sh*t. You could actually have 10,000 watts in a car, but no distortion, which causes hearing problems.
The question about how you complete in car audio would be this. there are a couple different ways.
one would be spl= sound pressure level, were the measure the actual air pressure in the vechile at a certain freq.
two is called sq= sound quality, which is measured on how acuatly the sound system repoduces a actual sound stage. Because different instraments are supposed to be placed in different spots on the sound stage.

I competed in the for ever known SPL group, hitting my highest at 167 dbs
which actually blew out my passener window.
You can check out some spl vechiles of a friend of mines called team gates, lead by alma gates and he son. here:
http://www.teamgates.net/com_8-2002.html
MAD

·
Registered
379 Posts
I got 2 12" alpine type s subs and jvc 900 watt amp and a sont eplode black face cd player these subs arent the best but for the mone yyou pay for them they are super nice and hit hard for the price yo ucnat get a harder hitting sub at that price new

·
...just back for a bit to catch up...
5,969 Posts
az tha kid said:
I got 2 12" alpine type s subs and jvc 900 watt amp and a sont eplode black face cd player these subs arent the best but for the mone yyou pay for them they are super nice and hit hard for the price yo ucnat get a harder hitting sub at that price new
yes, you can....goto ebay, look up infinity referrence subs....it'll give you 2 12" reference series (competition subs) for about $150....BRAND NEW IN A BOX WITH ORIGINAL SEAL!!!! infinity may not be as hard hitting as JL's but it sure kicks most of the competition subs out there

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
I was the youngest installer in circuit city history ( GO ME!). I used to love it and probably worked on over 2000 cars in the time that I was there installing everything from crapotonic radios in 1983 VW Golf's to Alpine Navigation systems in Dodge Vipers. My car was pretty stacked back in the day with 6 10s and a 12, but as i grew up I prefered milder bass with better SQ. We used to run the DB drags in NJ, and i have seen my share of 160+ cars. This typhoon with 8 strokers was my favorite.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I used to have 2 kicker solarbarics (the square subs) that hit hard run off a 1000 watt fosgate amp, was nice (I think it was a fosgate) i dotn remember. I sold the whole system as I decide to strip the car and olny use it for racing. It hit pretty hard though.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
you can really pull in some money, I would do about $150 dollars of work and hour and made about 15 dollars an hour... then i went to sales and made 25+ an hour with less bleeding involved... I absolutely hate honda civics. They have drawn more blood on me then i would like to remember. Cheap ass sheet metal interiors
I couldnt even imagine what that would do to you in a bad accident...Sorry for venting, but anyway that stuff is all in my past. I might be going back to Circuit City Coporate after I graduate and work my way towards a hot shot DM position. As far as audio goes now I only run 6 inch kappa perfect components and kappa 6x9s with an MTX PRO 440, my favorite affordable 4 channel of all time. They wont carry it in stores ( species order) but the high end MTX four channel has always been good to me. For good sound quality at cheap prices I always liked the kenwood Excellon serious sub for some reason. It has very low bass response, but nothing like my Bass (the instrument, i played in a band for many years, who now goes by the name of A long winter if your familiar with hardcore bands) rig which was composed of a 8 x 10inch cab, a 2 x 15 cab, 1 x 18 cab, 1 x 15 cab plus 5 inch horn.... Too bad i couldnt fit all that in my trunk.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.