Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1-Poor

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
Marineland 220

Cheap plastic parts REALLY brings down this Filter.

The lock nuts that hold the hose on the intake and outtake are bad quality which makes it push the hose off instead of biting Into it to hold it into place, I returned this product twice and both times have resulted in a sprayed wall and soaked carpet due to the hose coming off. Poor dealer care doesn't help either in my situation.To fix the problem I put the hoses on with lock ties and now it seems to be holding ok.
A 150 Dollar filter should not have to be modded with lock ties....

The intake and out take hardware is cheap plastic, you can really tell when you can press into it. Taking off the top to get to your media is quite a task also. Pressure in the filter itself makes you have to put a lot of muscles into getting it off, there are side buckles to aid in helping you pop it off but like mentioned above the plastic parts make you paranoid about pulling on them to hard and they feel like they are going to snap way before you get the top off.. Also with this i cant see these side buckles lasting to long at all with normal aquarium use and filter maintenance.

Performance wise it does do a good job of picking stuff out of the water but isn't every Filter supposed to ?????
Only good thing about this filter is that the color scheme will suit most aquariums and it isn't too loud while running.
I really should have gone with the Eheim 2215 which is in the same price range.

Better then any HOB Filter but In my opinion one of the worst of the Canister filters....

·
Photographic Genius
3,492 Posts
I just wanted to post that I just got a Marineland Multi-Stage Canister delivered and I must say...WOW. Previously I was using 3 Filstar XP3's on my 125wide (72 x 24 x 17) and I just got sick of replacing them. Two years of use and caput... So I ordered different this time. On my smaller tanks I always loved Marineland's Emperor Power Filter series so I figured I'd give their new canisers a shot. I can't believe the difference in build quality. Heavy, and so many tweeks that make things a lot better for long term use. I think the biggest problem with the Filstar line, IMO, is that they don't take well to frequent maintenance. I would have to open and clean the mechanical padding every week or so in order to keep things running efficiently (everyone that has messy fish knows this...we beat the crap out of our filters). This lead to problems with the clamps breaking down and the filters losing the ability to seal properly. Well, the locking mechanism on the Marineland seems a lot "heavier duty" so hopefully the filter will last longer with frequent maintenance.

Another plus is the "auto prime" button. I was surprised that I didn't even have to fill the lines before startup...unlike with the Filstars. You simply plug it in and push the prime button and POOF...it's running beautifully. This also seems like it will come in usefully if air gets into the line...something that was a MAJOR PAIN with the Filstars.

One more thing is the fact that the filter comes with media...and I don't mean a little itty bitty bag of carbon and ammo chips (don't even use those). I'm talking actual media! Yes, it comes with carbon if you use it, but the filter also came with a decent amount of bio-media (bio-balls and glass noodles). I still filled it more with the mature media I already had, but it was still nice to see. There also seems to be lots more room for media...and the baskets themselves are of much better design and build-quality. To get everything lined up right in the Filstar when re-packing after a cleaning I would have to sometimes re-do two or three times to get it right in order to lock and seal properly. Not with the Marineland.

Oh, and something cosmetically speaking...the intake and output tubing is BLACK....it blends right in and is great for a nice looking tank. Why on earth would Filstar manufacture with BLUE??? ACK.

So far...I love this filter and put it up on the top of my list of the best of what I've used so far!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts