• 2 - Below Average

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 - Poor

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11,035 Posts
The RENA XP canister filters are wonderful filters for the price, ease of set up, amount of media it will hold, and maintenance. The four common variations of the RENA canister are the XP1, XP2, XP3, and XP4 and their output ranges from XP1 - 250 gph (up to a 55g), XP2 - 300 gph (up to a 75g), XP3 - 350 gph (up to a 175g), and XP4 - 450 gph (up to a 265g). Of course, with the canister fully filled with bio-media the output of these canisters decreases, but still the XP filter has one of the highest gph turnover per dollar on the market. Thus, for the price (ranging on-line from $50 to $179), the turnover to price ratio brings unsurpassed value to these canister filters. Below is a list of high light of features of the Rena canister filters:

Easy to Use:
Self-priming, easy start system.
Unique one-step water shut-off and disconnect control lever.
Easily accessible flow control from above tank level.
Disposable filtration pouches for easy clean-up.
Multi-use filtration baskets with handles for easy maintenance.
Built in handles for easy carrying of filter during maintenance.
Easily accessible impeller.

Maximum Performance:
Efficient 3-stage filtration: mechanical, chemical & Biological.
Bypass-free: ensures complete water flow through the filter media. (see picture below)
Maximum capacity baskets hold large amounts of filtration media.
Long-life shaft will not degrade, even in salt water.

Maximum Reliability:
Unique anti-airlock system ensures continuous flow.
Self-locking water shutoff system prevents accidental flow during maintenance.
Rubber feet prevent slipping and dampen noise and vibration
Barbed nozzles and safety clips (included) ensure a water tight connection.
Anti-overheating design protects motor if filter is clogged.

The only items that I would like to point out is the self-priming feature. This feature is not a easy as other canisters, with "self-priming levers", that will start, fill, and prime the canister. IMO, this canister filter is not self-priming, but will prime easily with a bit of help. Second, the intake and return "U" clamps do not conform to the rim of your tank. Thus, not providing a solid fit, but with the use of the supplied suction cups everything works out.

All-in-all, I rated this canister filter a 4- GREAT for the price, media it will hold, ease of use/maintenance etc. I would definitely recommend this filter to other member.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I own two XP3's and for the money they are one of the best canisters IMO. They hold a good amount of media and have a nice flow rate, they also seem to be made of quality material and parts. I rated it a 4. Keep an eye out as they go on sale quite a bit and if you can catch them for the price I did ($75-$100) definitely pick one up.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I gave it a 4 too. Very good filters.

Hater

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Unless looking for just purely flow, I would recommend this canister over all others based on price, efficiency, power, ease of use and cleaning, etc....

If looking for raw flow, go for FX5 or sump.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
i very much regret selling my xp3 it is the best canister filter I have ever owned..highly reccomend anyone looking for a reliable filter very easy to use...

·
Registered
853 Posts
i very much regret selling my xp3 it is the best canister filter I have ever owned..highly reccomend anyone looking for a reliable filter very easy to use...
Yeah i agree sold my xp3 last year and turned around and bought another 1 month ago.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Love them other then a wet-dry or (Maybe) fx5 I would'nt use anything else!!!!!!1

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I gave it a 4, its a good filter and even better its inexpensive, but i do think that eheims are better quality and easier to use.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I gave the XPs a 5.
I love them.. Great price and dependable..

R.T.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I love my Rena XP3's, A great filter for the price. I gave it a 4 out of 5 because there are a couple of things I don't like about them...........

1. the intake tube is a series of smaller sections you push together to make it as long as you need, and with skittish P's slamming into it, they can knock them apart.

2. if you burn out the motor you can't just buy a new one and replace the motor....you need to replace the whole top piece which costs about as much as the whole filter in the first place.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
ive owned the xp3 and now have an xp4 i think this is a great filter altough i havent owned any other types of canister filters so i dont have any thing to compare greatness to

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
The rena filters are the only canister filters I use. For the price I think they are the best around. I rated them at a 5...

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I gave it a 5
it's costs very little $$$ for the quality. and very reliable. i have 4 XP3's on 4 75Gal's and i would not trust anything else on them

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
overall its a good filter, easy to maitnece, cleans water well, good quality, cheap price and its quiet

·
Cryptocoryne junkie
4,543 Posts
The canister part itself I like, but the cheap plastic parts that go in the tank for the intake and return de-value this product. Overall its good, but they really need to find a better way to attach to the tank.

·
Registered
189 Posts
just got one today. picked up the xp3 for a 75 gallon tank. water has been cloudy for a week, penguin powerfilter with bio wheels couldnt get it clear. got this all hooked up and in about an hour the water was nice and clear. just wish it came with more media. but so far so good.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts