Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
I've finally had a chance to go thru all the p-fury articles and now I'm a little worried about the reported instances of canibolism amoung piranhas.

I've got 4 baby red-bellies right now & they have shown no aggression towards each other but there is quite an obvious difference in size between the most dominant and the runt of the group (I've tried to feed them all enough that the runt is growing - but I havn't had then since birth).

Should I be worried about seperating the runt from his brothers?

How often does canibolism really occur in red-bellies? (according to at least one author it's 'inevitable!')

My ps live in my fish-room so it's very quiet in there, in fact the weeks my siblings are at their moms house there is no one in there except me for a couple hours a day! Combined with being in the corner with only ambient lighting on their tank - how much do I really need to worry about them turning on each other?

They get a full-compliment of diet from whole live fry (cons!) to grocery store fish meat, cichlid pellets & my guys even take flakes!

Nes.

· Registered
1,301 Posts
there is no way to really say if it would ever happen or not, its a gamble all pygo keepers take. it helps to keep them well fed and water temp down, but its still not guarenteed to never happen. i lost one of mine saturday due to canabalism.

and about your runt, i wouldnt worry about him, in my experiance the runt is usually the most active and first to eat. he'll catch up to the others in size sooner or later

· Registered
480 Posts
Like fiveo said, there's no real way to tell. As long as the size difference isn't huge and they're all still juvies, I dont imagine there will be a problem. BUT, you never know. I had 10 fish getting along great for a few months until my RBP's disapeared one by one

It's just the cost of keeping pygos.

· Registered
1,480 Posts
Canibalism is a risk, and it could happen, but that is something you will have to live with if you want to keep P's.

I had 5 RBPs that I bought at 1 inch, and after a few weeks it was very clear who was the dominant P and who was the runt. For the most part each P knew his role, and few fights broke out, but i had no deaths, only fin nips and some other minor damage that healed.

I don't think you should worry about it much. Just keep them healthy!

· Registered
1,145 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it to much.Keep them well fed, about 2-3 times a day when they are young should help. Don't forget to take out uneaten food. I got my Reds from 1" and still have them all. Maybe I was just lucky !!

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I suppose I should be getting them a bigger school now to grow up with

(was going to wait till larger tank, but I think they will do better with Ps they know).

Their adult tank is going to have ALOT of hidding spaces - thanks for the help guys!

Nes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.