Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am getting 3 in on Monday to London Heathrow with a load of other stock Piranha for our club and other customers and am trying to sort out my holding tanks.

As S.sanchezi has never been seen in the UK before (to my knowledge and I import most of the rarer types of P into the UK) I have heard different stories that they should be kept apart but others saying they tolerate each other like S.geryi or sometimes S.spilo.

Any views from current or past S.sanchezi owners over the pond would be much appreciated as I dont want to put 3 x 5" fish into a 5 foot tank and find one fat one in the morning!!!

Nickg

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
Hi Nick:

S. sanchezi are lone wolf's that travel with P. nattereri as an uninvited guest. Feeding on their fins and taking a free meal when P. nattereri feast on prey.

Small ones can sometimes be kept together, but that later results in badly bitten fins or worse. You are right, you will hear all kinds of things, but the truth is, they are solitary critters.<<<<<<<for what its worth.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Do not group Serras together unless youv'e a 1000g tank. They're solitary and will kill each other.

·
Registered
326 Posts
oh they've been here in the uk alrite...i used to have one :rasp:

i believe with a big enough tank i suppose u can shoal them. they seem to be the mellower of the serra species

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Frank....think I will stick with your advice.

I have setup a 5 footer with 2 seperators so they have 3 nice areas to live in for the short time I will have them. The seperators are clear plastic so it will be interesting to watch if they try to "have a go" at each other through the seperators as I have seen with more aggressive Serras that I have kept in stock.

ACM.........didnt know they'd been here before. What did you do with him and where did you get him from?

Nickg

·
Registered
326 Posts
i got him from an online fish store that has since ceased trading. unfortunately the little guy died due to an internal infection. im sure theres a pic of it in the OPEFE website

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
They are indeed S. sanchezi. But as I said Nickg, you will get different accounts of the fish. I don't think I wrote that you can't put them together, just not recommended.

S. sanchezi are lone wolf's that travel with P. nattereri as an uninvited guest. Feeding on their fins and taking a free meal when P. nattereri feast on prey.

Small ones can sometimes be kept together, but that later results in badly bitten fins or worse. You are right, you will hear all kinds of things, but the truth is, they are solitary critters.<<<<<<<for what its worth.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Understood Frank.....these guys will only be around 3" so I may try due to limited stock space and keep a very careful eye on them. I think they will be going off to new homes fairly quickly anyway due to how rare they are in the UK.

Thanks

Nickg

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
I don't think you'll have much of a problem. Fact is, the only information on these fish are primarily from field researchers and collectors. S. sanchezi has been a rather obscure fish, basically forgotten other than vague references to it being a member of the spilopleura complex. Which was totally wrong. They are members of the rhombeus-complex which brings more concern on my part in keeping them together. I've had these fishes on and off over the years (first one I saw was in 1966 just after it was described by Gery). I've seen them put in tanks with P. nattereri in public aquariums, but mostly by mistake since they look like natts somewhat except more compressed. When I pointed this out to the curator in 1971 at the Steinhardt he somewhat scratched his head and said are you sure? He then looked closer to the description I was giving him and then realized their mistake. The fish stayed in the corner behind the back (about a 7 inch fish, among a group of 10-12 in. P. natt). His coloration was strikingly similar except for that red throat and brillient shimmer. The other small ones I have kept through the years (not many) bit the crap out of their fins as they began to mature. I finally discontinued putting them together. They are nasty fin biters and I believe there is 1 nature film that shows S. sanchezi doing just that. The name of the movie escapes me but it was done by a British adventurer. Movie was done late 90's early 2000.

·
Registered
30 Posts
got these guys they were around 3 inches now they are between 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 inches in length. there is some fin nipping but very minnamel. they are in a 50 gallon tank that is heavaly planted.

·
Registered
30 Posts
they have been there since i got them and have not had any problems. i have yet to lose one yet and have never come close to losing one.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
Esoteric Posted Today, 10:46 AM
best of luck but in a 50 I would not be suprised if you ended up with 1.
There is no hard cut rule on fishes ability to group Esoteric. Aquarios are unnatural, but so long as Killintime can provide sufficient hiding places for the group, that can prevent mortalities up to a point.

killintime Posted Today, 10:41 AM
got these guys they were around 3 inches now they are between 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 inches in length. there is some fin nipping but very minnamel. they are in a 50 gallon tank that is heavaly planted.
killintime Posted Yesterday, 11:54 PM
have 7 of them together now for over 10 months. no problems here.
I'm wondering about that growth rate. Rather phenominal since S. sanchezi are slow growers. I don't doubt you, just hard to believe. The fin nipping is common. But do watch over them carefully. I certainly would hate to see you lose such a beautiful group of fishes a year or so down the road.

·
Registered
30 Posts
the growth rate is accurate, i have had them out of the tank to be measured. that is the total length that i am talking about. they grew from 3 to 4 1/2,5 inches rather quickly, its been the last half inch that has taken a long time.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts