Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've read many articles and peoples post on how to sex a piranha, but i still have no clue. So i was wondering if u guys were able to do it for me if i provide the pictures? and what angles of the fish should be taken?

and here's a question off the subject.. if two piranhas fight each other... does it mean they are of the same sex? or does sex have nothing to do w/ fighting?

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Most people will tell you that it's impossible to sex piranha's until they have actually spawned.
Piranha's are sexually dimorphic, which means there are no appearant visual differences between males and females.

Some will probably disagree (like the one who created the page mentioned in the previous post - no pun intended, Nate), but the general concensus is that sexing is (near) impossible...

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
Judazzz Posted on Jun 25 2003, 01:25 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Piranha's are sexually dimorphic, which means there are no appearant visual differences between males and females.
He means not sexually dimorphic.

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
Judazzz said:
Some will probably disagree (like the one who created the page mentioned in the previous post - no pun intended, Nate), but the general concensus is that sexing is (near) impossible...

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Plain and simple...
2 pairs fighting does not conclude they are a breeding pair. Too much to abide by just for 2 to pair up. Considering they are paired off at an adult stage.. water factor, space, settings..etc can hinder them from completing the stages.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
nate hit it pretty good on his page. im going to watch my P's extra carefully now. i have presently 4 RBP's 2 with flat bellies, 2 with round.
also i noticed that the round bellies rarly leave eachother and the flat bellies usually swim all over the place.

·
rhombeus
3,659 Posts
and if you happen to get a breeding pair, that does not mean they will not fight with each other as well. i have seen a breeding pair fight quite often (it's probably the female that starts it!!) bitch bitch bitch :laugh:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.