Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
230 Posts
i may be new to the forum...but i do know that if you keep that many of any serrasalmus in most tanks you will almost definately have a problem...i would go with just one, but not for life. After a couple of years one will outgrow that tank. They can be very agressive depending on the fish.
If you are looking for a shoal of piranhas on the other hand i would go with red bellies. But 5 would be to many for a 30 gallon.

· I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
14,634 Posts
WorldBelow07 said:
jesus christ your kidding right? a 30 gallon will barley hold 1. if your gona have 5 get 120 or more gallons
[snapback]870442[/snapback]​
Check you guys out.. already flaming a noob.

First off, welcome Mully!!!
Dont let these guys intimidate you.. they're as harmfull as a snail in a feeder tank.

First off, Spilo's have been known to house together in a "huge" tanks. But Spilo being in the Serrasalmus family, they are known mostly to be solitary fish which cannot be housed with others in the tank. A few veteran members have been in the hobby for so long that experiments such as these, can be done, but still hold cassualty in the porcess. With your 30 gal, a lone (baby) Serra would be your only ideal tank resident until upgrading after a yr or 2 as it matures.

But dont get discouraged.. you've came to the right place to get all the info and help you need for this hobby. Dont be afraid to ask any questions... remember, even an ichthyologist was once a noob to the hobby at one point or another.

· Captain P
2,678 Posts
RhomZilla said:

First off, welcome Mully!!!
Dont let these guys intimidate you.. they're as harmfull as a snail in a feeder tank.

First off, Spilo's have been known to house together in a "huge" tanks. But Spilo being in the Serrasalmus family, they are known mostly to be solitary fish which cannot be housed with others in the tank. A few veteran members have been in the hobby for so long that experiments such as these, can be done, but still hold cassualty in the porcess. With your 30 gal, a lone (baby) Serra would be your only ideal tank resident until upgrading after a yr or 2 as it matures.

But dont get discouraged.. you've came to the right place to get all the info and help you need for this hobby. Dont be afraid to ask any questions... remember, even an ichthyologist was once a noob to the hobby at one point or another.
[snapback]871228[/snapback]​
That's what I've been waiting to hear from an admin
. You are the man. Welcome Mully.

· Registered
127 Posts
Yea dude, seeing as you have a 30 gallon tank i would definitely illadvise spilos. Get yourself some reds to start and see how piranhas grow. Take that into account that spilos fight a lot, your gonna really have to know what your doing. I started with 9 and have 5 that ive had for a year and a half. It requires a lot more care than your average pygo.

· Registered
5,114 Posts
The spilos are less than one inch in size, can't they be in a 30 gallon for a few weeks while I get a bigger one?
Yes, they will probually be nippy, but you could do it, it goes against the general rule of no serra's together though.

You should try to find macs, they look alot like spilos, dont grow as big, and hard to tell apart from spilos.Nothing is guaranteed with piranhas though.

Hope you are getting a decent size tank

· Registered
669 Posts
Wow 30 is too small for what you are proposing. You can keep a single in that size for a little while but after a year you are going to need a bigger tank. After talking with others that have had success with Gold Piranha's you could probably get away with 3 in a 55-75 Gallon tank. They should tolerate each other ok. There is alot more risk involved with putting Golds together than putting Same Species Pygo's together.

· Registered
10,481 Posts
KrazyCrusader Posted Today, 08:18 PM
Wow 30 is too small for what you are proposing. You can keep a single in that size for a little while but after a year you are going to need a bigger tank. After talking with others that have had success with Gold Piranha's you could probably get away with 3 in a 55-75 Gallon tank. They should tolerate each other ok. There is alot more risk involved with putting Golds together than putting Same Species Pygo's together.
Talking with others doesn't mean you have the practicing experience to know what you are writing about.

Rhomzilla offers the best advice:
QUOTE(RhomZilla @ Jan 31 2005, 12:14 AM)

First off, welcome Mully!!! Dont let these guys intimidate you.. they're as harmfull as a snail in a feeder tank.

You will encounter finbiting in most cases quite heavily. You may even have a mortality or two. In the end, your fish will show battle scars, whether it be fin nips or body bites, including bit lips. These fish are unpredicable. Take the word of someone that has kept them (me). There are no hard rules if 2 or more will get along. That is why they are best kept alone unless you want to try and breed them.

· Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hastatus said:
Talking with others doesn't mean you have the practicing experience to know what you are writing about.

Rhomzilla offers the best advice:

You will encounter finbiting in most cases quite heavily. You may even have a mortality or two. In the end, your fish will show battle scars, whether it be fin nips or body bites, including bit lips. These fish are unpredicable. Take the word of someone that has kept them (me). There are no hard rules if 2 or more will get along. That is why they are best kept alone unless you want to try and breed them.
[snapback]872482[/snapback]​
Have you ever tried to breed them? I read in a book about breeding piranhas that if you keep a couple together in a large enough tank and waited long enough, you might have a chance at it working.

· Registered
669 Posts
mully2003 said:
Have you ever tried to breed them? I read in a book about breeding piranhas that if you keep a couple together in a large enough tank and waited long enough, you might have a chance at it working.
[snapback]872562[/snapback]​
Ohh come on Frank? Am I that easy of a target that you tag me but let this go?

As Frank has said. There is no way of knowing if you can keep the macs together. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.