Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a 13 year old rbp die recently and got chucnks takin out by other rbp's..is that healthy ??would they be allright after eating one of their own or eating one that dies in the tank without the cause of an attack

· ~ATLANTA BRAVES~
15,116 Posts
Did it die because it was attacked? Yes it would be healthy for your Ps to consume another P because it would be nutritional.

My only concern would be wether the one that died was sick or not. Ps both in the wild and in the home aquarium will kill off sick or dieing Ps as part of the natural instinct. You wouldnt really want to feed something that could potentially harm your fish so just be careful bro.

· Breaki'n all day...
4,256 Posts
Atlanta Braves Baby! said:
Did it die because it was attacked? Yes it would be healthy for your Ps to consume another P because it would be nutritional.

My only concern would be wether the one that died was sick or not. Ps both in the wild and in the home aquarium will kill off sick or dieing Ps as part of the natural instinct. You wouldnt really want to feed something that could potentially harm your fish so just be careful bro.
[snapback]859984[/snapback]​
i agree..as long as the P that died was healthy it is ok

but i want to add that should not keep the dead one in the tank for too long. if your P's eat it for a bit and then stop, TAKE IT OUT! or else you will get a huge ammonia spike which may kill the rest

· Registered
18,153 Posts
Sheppard said:
i agree..as long as the P that died was healthy it is ok
[snapback]860009[/snapback]​
Well, in the wild, a good deal of a piranha's diet consists of weakened, injured and diseased animals, so I think their digestive system is capable of dealing with pretty funky meat.
But I wouldn't test it, though - that Red of yours died for a reason, and as long as you don't know what killed it, it could be harmful for the others (probably not, but would you risk it?) That they've eaten from it already can't be undone, but I'd take out the rest, and stick to their regular diet...

I'm sorry about your loss, btw - a 13 year-old Red is quite an achievement

· Registered
76 Posts
Ur ps will be fine mine savage any fish that dies in my house hold they have a unbelivable imune system like the great white shark so they stmach anything even the odd donner kebab afte ra accident on a late night piss up

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.