Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can someone give me an idea of how much full grown rb's eat? I have 3 rb's about 4-6" between them all and i usually give them either a 2x2" slab piece of krill or sometimes like 2 comet goldfish each.

i'm curious to how much these guys will eat when they are all 9"+

·
Registered
213 Posts
Try to ween them off the goldfish...they contain certain hormones that are bad for piranhas..
they wont eat much more as they grow..

Eden

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
lol my 3 caribe are all 5-6" and they eat crazy amounts.... Much more then my serras.

Try feeding frozen shrimp or fish fillet, will fill them up nice...

Once 9" you will only have to feed every other day

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Esoteric said:
lol my 3 caribe are all 5-6" and they eat crazy amounts.... Much more then my serras.

Try feeding frozen shrimp or fish fillet, will fill them up nice...

Once 9" you will only have to feed every other day
[snapback]879987[/snapback]​
they eat krill everytime i feed them almost. barely ever have goldies. but i wanted to know quantity-wise (using the large commet goldfish is easy to measure)

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Natt King Shoal said:
My RBPs are 10-11" and I feed them chunks of meat that are bout the size of 3 goldfish (per Piranha). I feed every second day.
[snapback]880123[/snapback]​
cool. so it's not like they are going to eat three times as much as they do now then.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
My 6 reds eat salad shrimp every other day at about three handfuls. So, thats about 10-15 small shrimp per P. They are between 8 and 10 inches. I've upgraded to the more expensive and bigger shrimp. They eat about 3-5 of those per P.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
I feed my Reds (7,5-9" in size) twice per week and I never feed them until they are completely full: their staple is small salad shrimp and pellets - on average they get about 10, sometimes up to 15 pieces per fish,and I'm sure they'd eat the
Keep in mind that even with a diet like that they likely eat more than their brethren in the wild.

Feeding mature Reds more than that (let alone every 2 days or copious amounts) is unnecessary, and could very well in the long run result in overfed (ie. sluggish and fat, prone to disease) fish...

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
WorldBelow07 said:
wow i feed my p's 5-7" every other day
is this too much?
[snapback]881421[/snapback]​
I'd say so

On the other hand, I can't observe your fish, so I don't know how they are - you can. If they have bright colors, are not too fat, and are active, I don't think there's a need to change their diet.

But personally, I'd rather keep my reds on the lean side - if they are a little hungry most of the time, they are more alert and (inter)active, as every time I approach the tank might mean feeding. And they made that association remarkably fast - after I started their current feeding schdule, it took about a month and a half before they started to become restless and started swimming near the surface near the opening through which I toss the food every time I come out of the kitchen. Why? Probably because the freezer containing their food is in in the kitchen, and every time they are fed, I come from the kitchen.

I used to feed my Reds once every two days as well before, but since I dropped the amount of feedings to twice per week, they became more active (as said), much more colorful and much better in overall appearance. And even though they were fed at least 50% less than before, they kept growing at the same steady pace...

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
WorldBelow07 said:
i guess ill change that then. my rhom eats like once a week is that normal for them?
[snapback]881446[/snapback]​
It's kinda hard for an outsider to say wheter you feed your fish enough - I cannot see how active your fish is and how it behaves, nor how healthy and well-fed he looks. So I cannot say if and when something could be wrong. You can, so trust your own fish keeper instincts - you know your fish best, and if something is out of the ordinary, you'd be the first to realise that...
So if everything's fine, then there's no need for concern.

My Manny eats 3-4 times per week, but the total amount of food he gets is less than what a single one of my Reds eats during one feeding.
Serra's are solitary fish, and unlike Pygo's, feedings aren't dominated by the principle of competition for food which is so typical for a shoal - if a Serra leave its food unattended for an hour, it's no biggie, if a Pygo leaves his food unattended for a split-second, it's probably gone.
This difference affects how active a fish is: Pygo's, being extremely competitive, have to be much more active and alert during the feedings - and the rest of the time is spend in an energy-conserving manner, ie. very little activity. And it also affects how much a fish eats: a fish that has to fight for every scrap, like a Pygo, is more likely to stuff its face to the fullest as quickly as possible.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts