Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
It is very difficult to keep such a small tank in check. Things go bad fast.
The larger the tank the more room for error.
A first time sw person should start with a bigger tank till you have it mastered.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have a 10 gallon sw tank with only one percula clown. In just one day, your water quality can deteriorate really quick, especially salinity due to evaporation.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
ya i am trying to work on my 20gal and i can't keep the nitrate and nitrite levels down, they are off the chart, and theres not even any fish in the tank yet,

I've even done a water change and there still to high,

Any suggestions, this is my first time with salt water

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
Your probably having die off from the live rock. (Thats if you have some rock) If you do have the lr i would leave it alone till it is all done.
It could take 4-6 weeks, and keep up on small waterchanges.
And yes a 60 is a good size. You want one with as biggest footprint as you can get. Just like piranha's.

·
Danse Macabre!
10,561 Posts
You could always do a mantis shrimp (spearer kind, not a smasher) in a 10 gallon salt tank. Not only are these cool and beatiful predators (not too active though, they spend alot of time in ambush) but they're extremely extremely tolerant of water conditions which can be very forgiving for a first timer.

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
i keep a 10g hex tank with liverock and some fish . all you have to do is keep on testing the water. and keep up on water changes .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.