Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
I know a bunch of people with a spare 10g tank and I thought about something...can I say, carve a big hole on the side or front of the tank then link them together with silicone? How would fishes(other than big ones) like such a setup and would the tanks hold up? Sharp edges will be protected of course. I'm not talking about piranhas either, just fish in general.

·
LionHart
13,099 Posts
I don't see any reason why it couldn't be done,
It's an interesting concept.

Just be sure that any joints between the tanks are supported and sealed well...

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Sounds more like a refugium concept.

You could always try the "port" concept, but if your "port" becomes to large you might be flirting with disaster since you will be changing the structural stability of the two tanks.

·
LionHart
13,099 Posts
I'd make the "Connecting tunnel" cylinderical personally, "Round" is structurally more sound than "Square."
Also, no seams.
You can get the glass cylinders from a glass distributor, plexi or polycarbonate can be gotten from your local plastics guy.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Just build an aquabridge out of PCV. Cheap, fast, easy, works well. Just like a build u-tube, make it whatever size you want, 2",3",5" whatever. Only thing is the 2 tanks have to be perfectly level.

·
Registered
370 Posts
My idea is not like that though...I was thinking about putting three 10g tank right next to each other end to end then bore at least a 6" diameter hole on the connecting side, then use enough clear silicone to make an initial airtight seal then top it off when it dries. So it'll be a 30g tank that's 60" long, 10 1/2" wide and 12 1/2" tall. The only problem is moving such a contraption as I'll probably have to cut the silicone or get three people to haul it.

Or, I can buy 6" acrylic tubes from this place...they specialize in acrylic, Plexiglas, polycarbonate and such stuff. Pretty cool...

http://www.estreetplastics.com/Acrylic_Tube_s/45.htm

I can get the two foot long 6" tubes to connect the tanks then seal it with silicone and some sort of support system so the thin glass wall won't collapse under the water weight of the tubes. I can add LED lights on the ends to illuminate the tubes, probably blue. The tubes add a few more gallons of water to the situation and should be a really nice display above a nice Hi-Def TV...hum....

:wanders off wondering:

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Its a very interesting concept and I hope that it works out for you. I can give you no advice but to just try it out. 10 gallon tanks arent that expensive and you could make a great tank from this idea. Whatever you do make sure you post pics

·
Registered
66 Posts
Afew years back I was at a restaurant in the Mall of America that had Aquariums all over, including one over an archway that was a conecting tube between two other tanks. These were plexiglass so it can be done. If you've never seen it, you're missing out. It's pretty cool!

·
Registered
3 Posts
The carnegie science center in Pittsburgh has aquariums set up where two huge tanks are connected by one or two different tubes that run into each other. The glass(i think) tubes run into the sides of each aquarium. Its pretty cool to see though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.