Piranhas Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
It is a fact they feel pain. I didn't even look at the link to figure that one out. Justifying this would make me feel pain

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
I think that they can feel pain also. Did ya ever see p's fight and see one get a good bite and the other one just spaz.
And then the dispute usually stops for a little. And the other just stays well enough away.

·
...just back for a bit to catch up...
6,193 Posts
we all feel pain....especially when we stub our feet or get a paper cut....but fish do feel pain...i remember when i went fishin with a couple friends, when we did get some fish, we'd beat their heads in with the butt of our knives...such a horrible way for a fish to die

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
It makes sense that they dont. The reaction to getting bitten could be more of a survival instinct than actual pain. When one of my cariba had a large bite out of his back, I added a lot of salt to the water and he did not freak out. Have you ever added salt water to a cut? It is painful but he didnt seem to even notice.

·
5,310 Posts
They also say newbornes dom't feel pain when they get circumsized. Ive seen it and i see the pain in their eyes and cries.

·
5,310 Posts
Yes. That's true. But i just think pain is just a very effective way of self preservation. In us and all species.
Just my 2 cents.

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
Im sure they feel pain, what level of pain they feel is another story. you have to remeber that the sence of pain is a useful thing (even though it sucks) it tells you that something is wrong. even in fish when they get bit, they feel it and its like ouch, this sucks, im gona get out of here

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I am with you guys as well ... I think they feel pain or else the feeders wouldnt run after being nipped. Also it says that they have no fear.... yah right... why do you think we have skittish fish, or some that hide when you are doing water changes.... I think more research is needed on their behalf

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
I think you guys may be giving fish a little too much credit.

"Also it says that they have no fear.... yah right... why do you think we have skittish fish, or some that hide when you are doing water changes"

Once again I refer to survival instinct when it comes to skittish fish. Feeders arent afraid when they are first placed in the tank, they soon learn they are prey and the survival instinct takes over. I am no shrink, but fear can paralyze your actions, survival instinct causes you to act. If 6 piranha's the size of a whales were attacking someone you will most likely get one of 2 reactions. Either they will be so scared and resigned to die that they will just let it happen or they will try to get away. I have yet to see a feeder not try to get away. To me that says "survival instinct". Like I said, I am not shrink and could be way off base.

"I think they feel pain or else the feeders wouldnt run after being nipped."

I dont think this has anything to do with pain, if someone took a shot at you with a gun and missed wouldnt you run? You are not feeling any pain but your survival instinct takes over and you hall ass. I think this is what feeders do.

·
5,310 Posts
The answer could very well be moote.
Theories are a knowledgeable guess. And they have been disproven many many times in every aspect of sceince. I have no right so say they don't or do what i'm just stating is opinion of mine.
I admit that something is goin on whether is is survival or instint, or all the above. Im not tring to say i'm right.
But somethings we may never Know.
Unless we can get the pet phsycic to ask? :laughlong:

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
I have a little info about fish survival that might be interesting:

yesterday, I saw a documentary on NGC (Built for the kill) about the king fisher, and it explained something about how small neon tetras survive a lightening fast king fisher assault, which gives the fish no response time whatsoever. Their lateral line 'picks up' the vibration as soon as the bird's beak hits the surface (creating pressure waves), and this makes them flex certain muscles, causing them to move sideways. This happens completely instinctively/unconscious (sp?), but it oftentimes saves the fish's live...
This is also the reason why fish dart erratically when you tap the tank glass.
Personally, I don't believe mid-level fish freeze when they are attcked by a predator, because of this unvoluntary response to changes in water pressure.

"I think they feel pain or else the feeders wouldnt run after being nipped."

I agree with Grosse: I've seen feeders in my tank with their tails completely bitten off, but they were just as active as the ones which were still unharmed.
I feel sorry for the little guys, but I don't think they really experience pain.

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I dont think they experience pain. I also heard that their memory only last like 3 seconds or something so they forget they got hurt 3 seconds after it happens. Kinda like Momento the movie

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Xenon said:
I also heard that their memory only last like 3 seconds or something so they forget they got hurt 3 seconds after it happens. Kinda like Momento the movie
I don't think that's true. I mean, fish can be condition to respond to certain items: for example, feed p's out of an orange cup, for prolonged time, will make them react to that cup as soon as they see it, because they anticipate a meal. So they must associate that very cup with food, which means in a certain way they remember that the cup means food.
How would you explain why community fish are always coming up front when you approach their tank, and go to the surface when to open the tank canopy.
I know it's a pavlovian response, and has nothing to do with intelligence, but it at least implies fish can remember certain things (appearantly those things that are favorable to them...)

btw: Memento is one kick-ass movie :cool:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Yah well, I think they feel something cause when I hook a fish, I see its mouth opening and closing like its saying LET ME GO LET ME GO :rasp:

Don't we have somebody here that knows what fish think?

Let's hear from him and get his input.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
I didn't see the artical, but I do know that fish feel pain, why would you think that they don't?

If it is because of fishermans tails, they are mostly rubbish, after all I bet you can see that your fish have a longer memory than 3 seconds - otherwise why do they hide for a couple of days in new tanks?
and how do they remember their teritories?
I think this was made up to make people feel better when catching fish, the same reason why people say they don't feel pain.

·
Registered
698 Posts
"otherwise why do they hide for a couple of days in new tanks?
and how do they remember their teritories?"

This is all instinct and conditioned responses. A survival instinct. I'm no fish biologist but I know some one I can ask and find out for sure if they feel pain. BBL to post an answer.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
I really dont buy the 3 sec memory either, that would imply that a large fish being eaten by piranhas will forget that it has lost half of its body and not know why, that sounds a bit too much for me to swallow,

if you want to test to see if fish feel pain, take out a goldfish and touch it with a scalding hot piece of metal and see what happens,

of course they feel pain, the have a complex system of nerves throughout their body, I would highly doubt all these organs are used for is for navigation (sensing current, strength and direction)

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.