Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I got seven red bellies that are about 4" - 5" long, the tank is 135 gallons.
Cleaning and maintainence is not too bad, but I wonders if a catfish could keep things a little tiddy?

I have a Plecostomus about 6" - 7" in another take, and have wondered about transplanting to the P's tank.

Has anybody hear ever tried this, think he'll stand a chance?
I've had him a long time, and don't want to send him to his death

help.......

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
i wouldnt risk it if you dont want to....nothing really possible can co-hab with piranha's except for its own kind ie: pygo's go with pygo's.....you can try it...but probably will end up lunch meat....i have 6 6" caribe/reds in my tank with a 12" pleco...so far hes holding up..i guess one day ill wake up and see hes no longer with me....so definatly no guarentee's about pleco's with red's

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
give plenty of spaces to hide...ie driftwood, plants etc...

No guarantees.....my p's dont mess with my pleco's
LOL..thats like with mine right now...my caribe/reds chill in the middle, and the pleco push's them all out of the way so he can suck in that spot for a while, then moves them around some more...ive seen my pleco headbutt my biggest caribe....so far the pleco has some fin bites....thats it....would be nice if he survived so i can get my 20$ worth :rasp:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
flashover00, and itstheiceman,

I'm curious, how long have ieach of you had the cat in there?

give plenty of spaces to hide...ie driftwood, plants etc...

No guarantees.....my p's dont mess with my pleco's
LOL..thats like with mine right now...my caribe/reds chill in the middle, and the pleco push's them all out of the way so he can suck in that spot for a while, then moves them around some more...ive seen my pleco headbutt my biggest caribe....so far the pleco has some fin bites....thats it....would be nice if he survived so i can get my 20$ worth :rasp:
[/quote]

·
Registered
655 Posts
my plecos have been fine in my tank so far , this is about 4 months now not even a fin nip housed with 4 red bellies so i think you would be fine but it depends on the piranha and if you keep them fed

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
bigdog...about a month...i just got a pleco atleast twice the size of my p's...the bigger the better in my eyes...he holds down the fort pretty good...if he sense's a caribe or red coming near him he charge's them....so far i guess ive been lucky that hes been surviving day and nights......it could work for a week, month, year who knows...nothing is a guarentee tho

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
my pleco survived from when he was 10 times bigger then them till they were the same size. But he died because there wasnt enough algae, and wouldnt eat the wafers. I have no idea why i have no algae in my tank, i think its because i have white electrical tape on over my fleurescent lights, wich changes the light spectrum or something. But thats just a guess. My pleco was a bad ass, he would bash the piranhas if they fucked around. His only injury was a lost eye from when the piranhas were really small

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
my pleco survived from when he was 10 times bigger then them till they were the same size. But he died because there wasnt enough algae, and wouldnt eat the wafers. I have no idea why i have no algae in my tank, i think its because i have white electrical tape on over my fleurescent lights, wich changes the light spectrum or something. But thats just a guess. My pleco was a bad ass, he would bash the piranhas if they fucked around. His only injury was a lost eye from when the piranhas were really small
thats crazy man...i have algae on here that i cant even scrub off....i dont want to use a metal scrubber because it will take the coating off my tank (plywood)...so hopefully this guy can suck away

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have plecos and gibbiceps with Natereris, with Caribes and with Pirayas. The only girl that went after a pleco in her tank, was a Spilopleura. Beyond that never ha a problem.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
i notice more case's where people pleco's have survived a decent amount of time, compared to people who have lost pleco's....it will never be clear to us if we could co-hab any other species other then piranah's with them....its all trial....but soon to be lunch...we just dont know when

·
Registered
29 Posts
Man, that was one HUGE pleco a few post ago.....

It looks like my pleco just might stand a chance, at least a little while.

However, I've had him since he was about a 1/2" big.
I don't know if I want to find him as a fillet, when I wake up one morning.
Call me a wuss....

So my pleco will not be going in, at least no time soon.
I do have a better idea now, I'm going to put a bunch of snails in there.
That will help tiddy the tank as good as my pleco......

The worst that can happen is that the P's enjoy the taste, and eat all my snails

Now I just have to wait to Spring comes, so I can go into a lake or stream.
I just need to bring back a few water plants, and I'll have a few hundred snail eggs in that.
I thank I got the makings of a plan

Thank you everybody, for all of your feedback

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Man, that was one HUGE pleco a few post ago.....

It looks like my pleco just might stand a chance, at least a little while.

However, I've had him since he was about a 1/2" big.
I don't know if I want to find him as a fillet, when I wake up one morning.
Call me a wuss....

So my pleco will not be going in, at least no time soon.
I do have a better idea now, I'm going to put a bunch of snails in there.
That will help tiddy the tank as good as my pleco......

The worst that can happen is that the P's enjoy the taste, and eat all my snails

Now I just have to wait to Spring comes, so I can go into a lake or stream.
I just need to bring back a few water plants, and I'll have a few hundred snail eggs in that.
I thank I got the makings of a plan
LOL...my pleco is pretty big...and yet that wasnt the biggest one
.....yeah if you like your pleco dont take a chance with him....toss some snails in and they will motor around and do some good cleaning...its better to lose a snail then pleco in your situation.....maybe when spring comes grab a couple crayfish...give them some hiding spots...they will help clean up the bottom of the tank tooo

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
flashover00, and itstheiceman,

I'm curious, how long have ieach of you had the cat in there?
I keep pleco's in with all of my p's in each of my tanks.
Have been in there since day one man(months and months)....never a problem. In my 75 gal the pleco actually comes down and eats with the reds.

In my 30 gal sanchezi tank there are enough plants and rocks in there for him to completely disappear....has never been harmed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts