Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 4 pygos a red, a caribe, and 2 terns in a 75, they are about 5 inches, there is a lot fighting lately and i just saw a fish with a nip so i need to seperate them, here is the ? i have 2 55 gallon tanks I can put them in but i need to know how long can a 5 incher live in a divided 55 gallon and with water changes etc will they grow up to 8 or 9 inches in such a space? the dimensions of the tank are 48inch by 12 by 18 divide in the middle. so about 24 incheslong by 12wide by 18high each...

·
Is a Boss.
4,236 Posts
i would suggest getting them a bigger tank or getting rid of one. you could also try re introducing them all to the tank with the decor rearranged.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Hi ! um i would also say for the happiness of the fish go bigger. but yeah i would try rearanging first otherwise try find a 3rd tern leave those in the 75 then put the other two in the two 55's

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
i would suggest getting them a bigger tank or getting rid of one. you could also try re introducing them all to the tank with the decor rearranged.
ill definatly agree with you..you are always bound to get fin nips on your fish no matter what....thats like humans in life...some one is always bound to get punched or hurt or something....id say leave the fish in the tank they should be fine...or like nj mentioned...take all the fish out, do a water change, move all the decor around then toss em all back in at the same time...this pretty much means new environment for all the fish...so they all have to get along together....if worst comes to worst and you dont like the fin nipping (which will always happen) put 2 fish in seperate tanks...technically you arnt supposed to have 2 pygo's together because this means they can only fight eachother..so they could fight to death which = dead fish and un happy you..so

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the suggestions, i wish i could get a bigger tank but the 75 was pushing it since i live in a second floor apt and already have 3 other smaller tanks...I just don't want them stressed out by getting chased, or something worse. do you think the 2 divided 55 gallon tanks would be ok for about 2 maybe 3 years till i have a bigger place with more space... i just don't want my fish to get stunted at 5 inches. again thanks for your suggestions...

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
thanks for the suggestions, i wish i could get a bigger tank but the 75 was pushing it since i live in a second floor apt and already have 3 other smaller tanks...I just don't want them stressed out by getting chased, or something worse. do you think the 2 divided 55 gallon tanks would be ok for about 2 maybe 3 years till i have a bigger place with more space... i just don't want my fish to get stunted at 5 inches. again thanks for your suggestions...
not a chance in the world my freind, your better off leaving them in the 75...the fin nipping is natural...if u feel you dont like it...maybe swap em in for some goldfish or tetra's??

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not a chance in the world my freind, your better off leaving them in the 75...the fin nipping is natural...if u feel you dont like it...maybe swap em in for some goldfish or tetra's??
[/quote]

i understand but being that one is a red another a caribe and the other 2 terns wouldn't i have a higher chance of death or fatal bite if i keep leaving them in the same size tank maybe even if i kept only one of each? i will think about selling 1 tern maybe and keeping 1 of each 3 in a 75 i beleive is the best way to go i again just fear a fatal bite, it was hard to get these guys so i would like for them to stay alive. That is why my idea foe divided 55 gallon tanks.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
[/quote]

i understand but being that one is a red another a caribe and the other 2 terns wouldn't i have a higher chance of death or fatal bite if i keep leaving them in the same size tank maybe even if i kept only one of each? i will think about selling 1 tern maybe and keeping 1 of each 3 in a 75 i beleive is the best way to go i again just fear a fatal bite, it was hard to get these guys so i would like for them to stay alive. That is why my idea foe divided 55 gallon tanks.
[/quote]

honestly dude, why are you so scared of one of them getting bit....ITS GOING TO HAPPEN sooner or later my freind, tons of the best fish keepers on this site i bet has lost a fish or two...its in the nature...id say leave them, its 4 5" fish in a 75g tank which is great for them right now, tons of space to run and what not...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts