Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1.) How many bubbles per second on the bubble counter? Is it approx 1 per second?
Having a hard time regulating it.

2.) Where should diffuser be placed? Bottom of tank, middle, top?

3.) What should the bubbles be doing in tank? Mine are diffused and then slowly just float to the top and sit there. Is this what they should be doing?

·
I will bite your face!
7,436 Posts
I have mine set at 2bpm. plant load dictates how much CO2 you need to inject. You should have your needle valve as close to the regulator as possible. This will make regulating it much easier. Also make sure to have a check valve before and after your bubble counter if it is not attached to your regulator.
your diffuser should be in a area that gets decent water flow. But as low in the tank as possible so that they have as much time to mix with the water as possible.
I have mine directly under a power head so that the bubbles flow up from the diffuser and then get further chopped up. Then the CO2 rich water is shot across the tank. some bubbles do make it to the surface. and they make little what seem like bubble nests. This is also ok since it keeps the CO2 in contact with the water instead of going back out to the atmosphere.
Heres a pic of how mine is setup.
Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Houseplant Wood

Attachments

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have mine set at 2bpm. plant load dictates how much CO2 you need to inject. You should have your needle valve as close to the regulator as possible. This will make regulating it much easier. Also make sure to have a check valve before and after your bubble counter if it is not attached to your regulator.
your diffuser should be in a area that gets decent water flow. But as low in the tank as possible so that they have as much time to mix with the water as possible.
I have mine directly under a power head so that the bubbles flow up from the diffuser and then get further chopped up. Then the CO2 rich water is shot across the tank. some bubbles do make it to the surface. and they make little what seem like bubble nests. This is also ok since it keeps the CO2 in contact with the water instead of going back out to the atmosphere.
Heres a pic of how mine is setup.
View attachment 133035
I figured out why i was having trouble regulating the bpm...i just didnt have the main valve open all the way = noob mess up.

Im gonna go with what i have running now and test it every few hours to see if i have the right amount of co2 being injected....i found the chart online.

My needle valve is actually attached to the solenoid....so its right there anyway.

My diffuser is about midlevel in my tank....im gonna mess with it later and make sure its as low as possible....i like the power head idea and was thinking about it doing it before i posted, but wanted to make sure this was feasible.
The diffuser obviously makes the bubbles very tiny and ive noticed that about half of them dissapear before hitting the surface, the rest make it to the surface and just sit there and swirl around the whole tank up top.
Is this ok or are my actions basically doing nothing interms of getting co2 to the whole tank?

·
I will bite your face!
7,436 Posts
nahh you're good. so long as the co2 gets moved around the tank. you don't want it only concentrating itself to one area and goign right to the surface cause then half the tank dosen't get as much as it should and you wind up having to pump more into the tank to be effective.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is what i paid:

60 bucks for 2 20lb cylinders.....They're huge though
18 bucks to fill 1 of the cylinders
95 and change for a regulator w/solenoid, bubble counter, needle valve, tubing, timer and diffuser

And thats it....

·
Registered
708 Posts
I paid $80.00 for a 20gal cylinder and it is good for life.
All I have to do is bring it back to any place selling CO2 and get a full cylinder at no charge.
So I run my CO2 very heavily; just enough to not choke the fish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts