Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know where to buy/order a big tank. Does anyone have a website they can recommend. I have a "big" tank now, but someday I would like the tank to be between 1000 - 4000 gallons. I work at a place where we have a 10,000 gallon, another 10,000 gallon and a 40,000 gallon, so I don't care to hear what a pain filtration and cleaning is, just a piece of glass/plastic that is big. Secondly would a tank this big need to be built in, or could you just throw a 20'x4'x4' (2,400 gallons) tank up on a stand along the family room wall, is there a stand that big, obviously this is pricey, but where are the sites/stores?

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
cheaper to build your own, and unless your house is on a concrete pad.....scratch the idea.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I understand a tank can be an investment. Assuming my floor is not going to give out, (I would put this in the basement, concrete) lets get back to WHERE (websites) this can be purchased. I'm not going to put together some 20 foot tank just to have it break on me, I want somebody else (professional) doing it

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts
I would also have to recommend glasscages.com for a tank that size.

*Topic Moved to Tank and Equipment Forum*

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually, depening on where in the 1000 to 4000 range I land I just wanted to have a massive amount of redbellies. I wanted to follow the 1 inch per 2 gallon rule. So at 1000 gallons (1000/2 = 500 inches/ 10 (approx inches of full grown RBP)) would house 50 and 4000 gallons would house 200 red's and anything with 50 - 200 reds would be pretty cool. Cost is not much of an issue

·
Registered
710 Posts
I'll assume that you're serious, I hope you got deep pockets because the 4000 gallon one pictured cost $168,000 to have it built into their house. http://www.seaquariums.com/

A guy on MFK built a 2500 gallon cement tank in his basement for under 10 grand. So it's all about how fancy you want to go and how big of a bank account you have.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The aquariums on SeaAquariums.com are extremely beautiful. I am not looking for work quite the professional/built in. Just finding the piece of glass and having a carpenter build the stand to set it on is what I'm interested in. Again I have found a 1,000 gallon piece of glass and I could have a carpenter build the stand, but I'm just looking for a bigger piece of glass, as I can simply have the size of the stand adjusted. I am going to save over the course of the next couple of years, to see if my piranha interest will be perminent or temporary

·
Registered
13 Posts
The aquariums on SeaAquariums.com are extremely beautiful. I am not looking for work quite the professional/built in. Just finding the piece of glass and having a carpenter build the stand to set it on is what I'm interested in. Again I have found a 1,000 gallon piece of glass and I could have a carpenter build the stand, but I'm just looking for a bigger piece of glass, as I can simply have the size of the stand adjusted. I am going to save over the course of the next couple of years, to see if my piranha interest will be perminent or temporary
Does it have to be a glass one? If it were me I would make it out of concrete, with a glass viewing area on the front. That might be the cheapest. Sorta like a swimming pool with a window.

Good luck, and we gotta have pics if you create one

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I need to know where to buy/order a big tank. Does anyone have a website they can recommend. I have a "big" tank now, but someday I would like the tank to be between 1000 - 4000 gallons. I work at a place where we have a 10,000 gallon, another 10,000 gallon and a 40,000 gallon, so I don't care to hear what a pain filtration and cleaning is, just a piece of glass/plastic that is big. Secondly would a tank this big need to be built in, or could you just throw a 20'x4'x4' (2,400 gallons) tank up on a stand along the family room wall, is there a stand that big, obviously this is pricey, but where are the sites/stores?
Why dont you just research/ask the folks at your place of work?

·
Registered
47 Posts
guy on another site built a 1200 for less then 2 grand. if interested pm me for the link i just dont want to advertise other sites on here.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
yeah give glasscages.com a holler, im going to order my 100g wide from there fromt here
unless they are coming to a show near you or you can go pick it up then forget about it, shipping is killer

·
Registered
376 Posts
shipping is not that bad it would only coast me 275 for them too ship it too cali.. and yes i have asked them thats how i know...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts