Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to find out what's the deal with burn in and if it's possible witha x-box 360 and a rear projection tv. The tv is less than 3 years old. Am I led to believe that you have to be a hardcore gamer and play games 24/7 then it will burn in on a rear projection tv. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
AQHU RULES
4,609 Posts
my mate has a progection tv in his room, which means the screen must be well over 150" screen looks unreal...................

·
Skankzilla
18,320 Posts
Brand, model number?

Chances are you'll be okay with a video game as long as you don't leave it on teh same screen. Older models have a chance of burn-in image due to the older technology that didn't care about burn in but you should be okay. Just make sure not to press Pause and leave the screen on for 10-20 minutes.

If you need to leave, turn the tv off and video game system off too. I use a DLP tv for my video games and its fine, but it also has technology to make sure not to have the same image appear on the screen for a certain amount of time, like if the image displays for 90 seconds straight or whatever, it'll go to a screen saver mode.

Damn, just tried to google rear projection tv burn in image and theres nothing on the first page about the old school rear projection tvs. Sry man.

·
WWTCD?
9,785 Posts
Rear projection Tv should not burn. The problem is with plasma.
[/quote]

Really? I've never ever heard that.

Just to be clear here, what type of projection are we talking about? CRT projection, DLP rear projection or LCD rear projection? Because I'm sure it would be different with each one.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
If you just want someone to confirm it who owns one, I have one and it has burn in prevention, consoles have had it for quite a long time now before the 360.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Projection tvs are the ones that burn in because of the projection. Plasmas have never had that problem because of the way it works. I believe the bestbuy website has a very good definition and warning about this when you look for televisions on their site. And an xbox 360 does have a screen saver set for like 5 minutes or so.

·
Skankzilla
18,320 Posts
Projection tvs are the ones that burn in because of the projection. Plasmas have never had that problem because of the way it works. I believe the bestbuy website has a very good definition and warning about this when you look for televisions on their site. And an xbox 360 does have a screen saver set for like 5 minutes or so.
Actually one of the first problems with Plasma tvs was the burn in image. But those were the first models. Nowadays any current model will be fine as they have their own burn in protection.

Old CRT Projection tvs are the worse with burn in image. DLP, LCOS, LCD Rear Projection are all fine and don't have issues with burn in.

·
WWTCD?
9,785 Posts
Actually one of the first problems with Plasma tvs was the burn in image. But those were the first models. Nowadays any current model will be fine as they have their own burn in protection.

Old CRT Projection tvs are the worse with burn in image. DLP, LCOS, LCD Rear Projection are all fine and don't have issues with burn in.
[/quote]

Word.

I work at Best Buy and I have, first hand, seen burn in on some of our plasmas. It's mostly when a new person opens in the morning and a plasma is hooked up to a dvd player and they don't bother to press play, simply leaving it on the menu screen, and it goes unnotived for half the day or sometimes the entire day depending who is in... Now that's an issue. I've seen burn in on all manners of brands from Panasonic and Pioneer to our low end stuff like Insignia.

·
Skankzilla
18,320 Posts

[/quote]

Word.

I work at Best Buy and I have, first hand, seen burn in on some of our plasmas. It's mostly when a new person opens in the morning and a plasma is hooked up to a dvd player and they don't bother to press play, simply leaving it on the menu screen, and it goes unnotived for half the day or sometimes the entire day depending who is in... Now that's an issue. I've seen burn in on all manners of brands from Panasonic and Pioneer to our low end stuff like Insignia.
[/quote]

What kind of dvd players does BB use? My samsung dvd player I use has a burn in protection too where it will turn on a screen saver if an image has been on the same screen for like a minute.

My DLP has also burn in protection too that will go to a screen saver if the same image appears for so long.

I think with the most current models of any type of tv, they have really stepped up their game for DLP, LCOS, LCD Rear Projection, LCD, and Plasma. Each of them have their pros/cons but now you really cannot go wrong with any of them. Just depends on what you're using the tv for, money you have, and the space.

·
Banned
9,412 Posts
plasmas were notorious for burn-in when they first hit the market...DLP does not burn in, and old CRT projections were few and far between. most of the new plasmas will shift their screen though, unlike the old ones, the entire viewable image on-screen will shift one way or another...DLP is definately the way to go with new TV's though, more screen for the price, super picture quality, bulb=cheap compared to a new plasma TV...its just a little more bulky, but i'll take that tradeoff...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts