Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i just wanted to share that i am the happy new owner of a 6 ft bermese python and a i am going to meed this guy that is going to sell me a female green anaconda (said it is 4feet) for 220$ is this a good deal??? i fed the python big ass rat... it was so cool watching... anyway pics will be up tomm... i still gotta build the cage i already bouth the plexy glass and plywood and 2x4 for the stand... anyway

cheers! erick

·
WWTCD?
9,785 Posts
At 6 feet that burmese is going to be ready to move onto rabbits soon... Have fun with that food bill.

Do you have anyone helping you take care of these animals? Otherwise you definitely should. Giant snakes should never be handled alone. It could easily result in your death.

have you owned snakes before?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the cage is going to be 5'x4'x2tall (Stackable) i bought a table saw and a jig saw...

i have owned a ball python.. only got about 5 feet long (bit my dad and he killed her) that was when i was younger too

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
that python will weight 100 pounds a least and will continue to get heavier.. always have a 2nd or third person with you when handling it

·
Serras n Snakes
3,571 Posts
Here is a forum that has alot of info on Burmese Pythons. You might have to change the box under the "forgot your password" to All Topics and it will bring up something along the lines of 177 pages of threads.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Well i just wanted to share that i am the happy new owner of a 6 ft bermese python and a i am going to meed this guy that is going to sell me a female green anaconda (said it is 4feet) for 220$ is this a good deal??? i fed the python big ass rat... it was so cool watching... anyway pics will be up tomm... i still gotta build the cage i already bouth the plexy glass and plywood and 2x4 for the stand... anyway

cheers! erick
i've seen green anaconda for 120 here in socal

·
Registered
272 Posts
Baby anacondas for $75 here in Illinois

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Burmese are awesome snakes, but because of their docile nature they are overlooked as potentially dangerous snakes. at 6 feet you are on your way to a large animal, if it is a girl, then a really large animal.
You should make your enclosure 8 feet in length, 3 feet in depth, and 3 feet high....keep it warm, especially this time of year...I can not count the needless number of dead pythons from RI infections that result from low winter temps....
Other things to remember are that you are not able to handle that snake safely by yourself in about 3 more feet, and growth at the early years is explosive and incredible. While the great majority of keepers seldom run into problems because they follow very safe handling/cleaning procedures, sadly many get themselves into trouble...this year alone we saw two deaths by burmese pythons, and about 430+/- calls to 911 for burmese and retics that had grabbed their owners and they could not get the snakes off of them. Irresponibility in ownership is going to make these gentle giants prohibited species in many states unfortunately.

As far as the green anaconda....very few captively produced animals..so make sure you treat it for parasites...also be aware they have an irrascible temperment...and that unlike the explosive growth seen in species like retics, rocks and burms they are SLOW growing snakes....that although are aquatic, require DRY cage space with a large water bowl.

PLEASE make sure you thoroughly understand what tyou are getting into when obtaining any of the "giants"...as they are hard to find homes for.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i sold my salt water fish tank and i build a 6x4x2 1/2 feet wooden tank... i am gonna use kills (white paint) all over so they he can't smell the wood... the vet told me that the male bermese was not feed well as a baby and he looks like he is 2 years but he said he is about 5 years old... so he will only get about 10 feet long the vet said
i am sad.)
and they said my anaconda is 2 months old and Clean and it is a girl

thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
They never stop growing my friend, and as you begin feeding it correctly it will resume growth, albeit not the explosive growth you would have witnessed from a well cared for individual. I would seriously begin construction now of a new enclosure as your six foot long enclosure will be too small within the year now that you will be feeding him properly.
You can still expect him to attain a length between 10 and 14 feet over the next six to eoght years. That is a good thing as if he were a she it would be a possible 16-18 foot animal.....
Begin feeding regimenes and STICK TO THEM.....develope proper protocol now my friend, feed pre-killed food items, and keep the animal well fed....you do not need a big, powerful, HUNGRY constrictor. You said this animal is at 6 feet so you need to find a supplier of small rabbits....2 pounders should do you...you need to be feeding that animal every 7 to 10 days depending on how long the rabbit sits in the system, if it is digested and passed rather quickly feed it two rabbits every 7 to 10 days....the other good news you have my friend is that as a male you will probably have it go off of feed every winter in an attempt to find a female for breeding...he will probably be extremely overactive at the same time..just keep his water clean and available and offer him food sporadically...he will eat again usually into early spring.
I can not overemphasize the importance of understanding that you are not capable of dealing with this animal safely alone. It requires multiple people, and while people will argue with that I want you to realize that there have been 11 deaths from Burmese since the 1980's....and again that does not count people that would have been in trouble except for the ability to get to a phone (only becuase they were dealing with 6-7 foot snakes or because there were multiple people present) and it does not count near misses. All of those deaths were not just from giants either.... 2 8 footers,a 9 footer, a 10 footer, 2 11 footers, 4 13 footers and a 14 footer.....and that is only the burmese ( I have not counted retics, or rock pythons) and one of those cases was a strong, healthy 15 year old boy killed by his 11 foot burmese...(1993, Commerce City, Colorado)...they can make awesome captives....but you need to always keep safety first......YOURS AND OTHERS.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yea man i will only handle my python with my brother around.... he is about to shed so it tries to bite me every time i get near it, so i am just going to leave him along for the next week...

i am sorry to keep asking you questions but, how big will my green anaconda get in a year?

thanks!

·
Registered
452 Posts
make sure you know your city's laws on large snakes too. here in manhattan it is illegial to have a snake over 6 feet long.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Prerequisite Kudo points out well and that is to always be aware of your state, County and municipal laws, regulations, and codes.

You will be very dissapointed in the murinus I am afraid, every one gets them thinking they will have this HUGE snake in no time...and well....if you get a foot of growth out of it this year I will be very impressed....if it begins feeding well it may develope into a 10 foot to 15 foot snake overthe next 12-15 years, if it is a male it will probably stop growing around 8-9 feet.

·
VENOM
4,670 Posts
the cage is going to be 5'x4'x2tall (Stackable) i bought a table saw and a jig saw...

i have owned a ball python.. only got about 5 feet long (bit my dad and he killed her) that was when i was younger too
Your going to have your hands full....

You cant even begin to compare the size and strength between the 2

1 - 20 of 35 Posts