Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guyz I saw the thread on bldg. youre own Acrylic tank. I was wondering if anyone had recommendations on an all glass tank. See my father-in-law is a glazier and has access to tons of glass, however, he's never had the call for an aquarium. He offered to make me one to my exact measurements. I just don't know if it is as easy as he is making it out to be. I already had a price quote from a fish store that specializes in making custom aquariums. They quoted me $450.00 bucks for a tank that measures;60"X24"X22" which roughly comes to 138 gallons. This price just reflects the cost of the tank and the glass top. If I wanted a fancy stand and canopy w a built in bio-ball filter it would jack up the price to about $1350.00
What do you guys think?
Do I allow my father-in-law to build it which would'nt cost me a penny and hope my piranha don't wind up on the floor or do I shell out the money and get it done by the experts.
HELP!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One more thing I currently have a 75 gal set up with 8- 7" red bellies. I'm looking to upgrade to a larger tank so if necessary I would sell all my equipment including fish and filters if the price was right. I would use that money to re-invest it in the custom set up and start all over.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Funny... I am building a glass tank that is 60"X24"X24".. almost your exact measurements. I got quoted $300 though, all glass, 5/8" inch thick. I'm going ahead with it, and building just started. We haven't assembled it yet, but the guy unloading the glass smashed a piece into the stairwell railing (which couldn't have been wood, it HAD to be steel) So it delayed us a week. It's a 150 gal. so far 've spent $300 for the glass pieces alone, filters will jack that up another $250, my arowana is $60, heaters $100, plus on top of that, gravel, decorations, canopy, who knows? But it's at least $750 for sure. We're just assembling it ith sillicone, and some friend of my dad is making a frame so it won't bust.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow you're right, sizes are almost identical. How do you guys plan on applying the metal frame to the tank? And what kind of silicone will you be using. Do you plan on making the glass tops as well? Sorry for all the questions but I'm really looking to go ahead with this. As far as the equipment is concerned I would only sell everthing together. Because if I opt to have my father-in-law build my tank then I'm going to have to use my existing equipment . But if I go to the custom place then I would have the filtration system built into the tank. Therefore I would'nt have a no need for the filters I have now. With my current 75gal I have a fluval 404 a fluval 203 and an 802 powerhead w/quick filter. But again I would only sell everthing together tank and all. By the looks of it you're already getting your tank.
Thanks again

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Nathan, information was very helpful. I assumed all you had to do was cut the pieces of glass according to size and silicone or glue them together and let dry.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I believe that the metal frame simply slips over it.. He's making a stand with a frame for the bottom, and a frame that slips on for the top. I have no idea which sillicone we'll use. My dad makes tombstones and works with granite and marble, and he uses some powerful sillicone to seal pieces together, and I think that's what we'll be using. We're not getting a glass top. I don't even know what we're doing for a canopy yet. My dad says he's making one, but he's kinda whaked sometimes and raises my hopes to high. AHHH!! the glass piece that that guy smashed was supposed to be in today, but they put it on the next truck. I am getting so sick of waiting! I have to figure something out for the canopy, because baby arowanas will jump out fist chance they get. Filters are going to be more than I thought...
Maybe i'll take pics of the assembly an post them, but it'll be 1 week yet!

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
RHOMKILLA said:
Thanks Nathan, information was very helpful. I assumed all you had to do was cut the pieces of glass according to size and silicone or glue them together and let dry.
yeah the wood acts like the black trim on store bought ones, it just provides strength and support

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I was explained to by someone that builds tanks perfessionally that the black your reffering to, the plastic border is used to hold the pieces of glass together while the silicone drys and for decoration. Not a support for the glass. But the support that runs across the top section is actually that a support.

MAD

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.