Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
The Official Blacksheep of PFury!
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to know if any of you are into building replica models. I am not talking "Snap-Tight" models, I am talking the hard ones.

Any websites that you go to?

I am just looking at finding something to do for relaxation that my son might be interested in doing as well.

Anyone do this?

Jeffrey

·
Peace....Through Superior Firepower
13,643 Posts
I would love to get into building , SR-71 black birds and some stealth fighters and Stealth Bombers to hang on my walls in my fish room ...

Built a couple rc cars when I was younger .....Rc-10, Traxxus Hawk, Yokomo, and a gas powered Stinger(Which was changed to electric and a Frog...

·
what up NINJA
4,581 Posts
I used to when I was little. I've built mostly jet fighters and muscle cars.

I bought one recently and started to paint the parts, but dont have all the colors for all the parts. I need: gunmetal, matte black and some others.

I'm willing to bet that there are forums like this one.

·
my sister is #1 best prostitute
10,514 Posts
i dont have many web recources, but i usually did search for photos of the type of model i was building for paint color referance.

i built a supra GT race series replica, there where lots of photos of the actual race car which helped alot.

i also got into builing ww2 figher planes for a while, if you pick up some tamiya modeling magazine they usually have great articals on model builds with lots of tips on techniques that can be used..

i also got into RC cars for a while, i worked for traxxas for a year and got addicted to RC's, i have three or four electric street cars a stadium truck, a nitro t-maxx, and a eco piccalo micro heli. the RC;s are much much more expensive with less construction and alot more fun driving them then building a stagnant model, the RC's do require alot of maintenace and repairs if you run them hard, but if there is a race track or group that races that can be ALOT of fun and competitive..

the models take much more time and patients to build and in the end you just have something sitting on a shelf.

the rc's in my opinion are more fun but more costly

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
GO with an RC kit. I think traxxas prolly has the easiest to assemble kits, but still posses a challenge for first timers. I was lazy and had the store put my traxxas stampede together a few years ago. I had em mod it up with a better engine, ball bearings and some other little things. It was really fun to mess around with.

·
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dwarfcat said:
GO with an RC kit. I think traxxas prolly has the easiest to assemble kits, but still posses a challenge for first timers. I was lazy and had the store put my traxxas stampede together a few years ago. I had em mod it up with a better engine, ball bearings and some other little things. It was really fun to mess around with.
[snapback]898443[/snapback]​
Thanks for your input everyone!

Dwarfcat - that is exactly what I was looking for. I think my son would really enjoy the RC. And I would enjoy the tinkering to get it to it's top performance.

Someone had a videolink on here of some guys that jumped their RC over a house. It was stinking awesome!

So what brand/type do I start out with?

Jeffrey

·
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nismo driver said:
i have three or four electric street cars a stadium truck, a nitro t-maxx, and a eco piccalo micro heli. the RC;s are much much more expensive with less construction and alot more fun driving them then building a stagnant model, the RC's do require alot of maintenace and repairs if you run them hard, but if there is a race track or group that races that can be ALOT of fun and competitive..

the models take much more time and patients to build and in the end you just have something sitting on a shelf.

[snapback]898397[/snapback]​
Nismo - What do you suggest I start out with?

Jeffrey

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
i build models and play/race rc cars and fly rc planes but for models a great mag is scale model enthusiast

·
Rhode Island Slut 2006
4,487 Posts
PastorJeff said:
So what brand/type do I start out with?

Jeffrey
[snapback]898454[/snapback]​
I like HPI, and they have RTR kits (ready to run)..

when I built my first gas rc car I didnt get a RTR kit and it took me like 8 hours to put it togethor
probably would have been less though if I wasnt so tired and as well, it was my first time really messing with a gas powered car.. I only had electric up until then..

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
if goin rc id get a losi car but im kinda biased as its all ive raced since the original jrx2 hit in 88. they will take anything u can throw at em.

·
Registered
11,044 Posts
MR HARLEY said:
I would love to get into building , SR-71 black birds and some stealth fighters and Stealth Bombers to hang on my walls in my fish room ...

Built a couple rc cars when I was younger .....Rc-10, Traxxus Hawk, Yokomo, and a gas powered Stinger(Which was changed to electric and a Frog...
[snapback]898324[/snapback]​
Stop that, you are making me think of that kid from the movie "butterfly effect"

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
[quote name='dwarfcat' date='Feb 18 2005, 07:07 PM']
I have always thought of losi as more for those who compete in races. I would get a traxxas rustler or something along that line. They are pretty sturdy, and since they are not competition level out of the box, you can get used to it how it is and then really start to part it out.

your tottaly right but the losi really isnt that much more $ and will hold up 10 times longer than a cheap traxxass that youll have tore up on run one or 2 (ive launched my race car over a dirt bike hill (15 plus ft high) and didnt brake a thing. ive actually broke almost no parts ever and ive been in bad accidents.
how bout a concreet wall at close to 50 mph head on and no parts broke just try that w a traxxas

also if ya start moddin a traxxas youll end up havin more money in it and a factory losi will still waste ya
id check out e-bay they have several good deals on used but good xxxt's w radio eng and all other

·
Registered
157 Posts
We'll guys i've been the first timer and i cana tell ya that you should start out with a LOSI car or truck they can take an ASS WHOOPIN and take it. The only thing that has broke on my car in the 6 yrs that i've owned it is one part and the was because i ran it in to a concreate parking light base at full speed. with a 10 turn quad. so they can take a beatting and they are great cars that will give you lots of enjoyment for blasting around the yard or all out racing. so if you are serious about havin fun or racin get the LOSI buy the best f*ck all the rest

·
10,514 Posts
PastorJeff said:
nismo driver said:
i have three or four electric street cars a stadium truck, a nitro t-maxx, and a eco piccalo micro heli. the RC;s are much much more expensive with less construction and alot more fun driving them then building a stagnant model, the RC's do require alot of maintenace and repairs if you run them hard, but if there is a race track or group that races that can be ALOT of fun and competitive..

[snapback]898397[/snapback]​
Nismo - What do you suggest I start out with?

Jeffrey
[snapback]898456[/snapback]​
id say if you want a project to build and give you an opertunity to work with your son and learn about the mechanics of the car and learn how to set up the shocks and drive lines, id say try a hpi or losi or associated stadium truck electric rear wheel drive, very simple and alot of fun to run and typically can handle some abuse with out falling apart..

if you want to start with something more complicated then try a four wheel drive street car, of all the cars/trucks ive built i found those kits to be the most fun.. at one point i built a t-maxx from scratch (no manual) and they are fun to build, you have a two speed tranny and front and rear diffs and drive lines, plus there are loads of after market parts if you want to really dress it up.. you can also get into tuning suspension with the shock valving and shock oil density, gearing ratios to increase speed or extend run time, there are alot of things you can mess around with..

having work at traxxas and knowing there models inside and out id say go with something higher quality like HPI or LOSI.. traxxas is really more focused on there ready to run entry level stuff, the 4tec pro is an awesome street car and t-maxx is rediculusly fun, but those are higher end more expensive models..

start electric and if you get into and have the time and money try something nitro, they can be very tempermental, and take alot of patients and care to break in and run with out burning up the piston and sleeve, it takes time to get used to tuning them correctly..

basically youll need to get a kit car or truck what ever you decide, some do come with motor and mechanical speed controllers, but you should throw down the money for a good motor, there are alot of motor choices out there so if you have a good knowagable rc shop they should be able to help you choose a good motor. youll need a good speed controller, like a novak, something with reverse is nice. a servo for the steering. a controller (transmitter), some will actually come with a reciever, make sure you get atleast two sets of crystals incase you have a problem with interfearance or if you go to a track so you can switch channels..

staduim truck kit - good price on good truck

Controller, reciever, charger, battery, speed controller.

basic stock motor

steering servo

basically its about 300+ to get started and you could definately have alot of fun..

you could get a cheaper ready to run set up but it might not have the same quality and defeats the whole purpose of learning how to build and repair the car, if your build it when something breaks youll be more prepared to fix it..

·
10,514 Posts
dwarfcat said:
I have always thought of losi as more for those who compete in races. I would get a traxxas rustler or something along that line. They are pretty sturdy, and since they are not competition level out of the box, you can get used to it how it is and then really start to part it out.

EDIT: http://www.traxxas.com/products/electric/r...trx_rustler.htm
[snapback]898537[/snapback]​
the rustler is a pretty good kit, i had a gas one that was all hooked up, it would rip wheelies across foot ball fields if you gunned it, lots of fun..

·
Registered
220 Posts
i got started on rc's in 91 and still into it. ive got 5 rc and they are all nitro powered. it all depends on what you want to do. off-road go with the new traxxas revo or losi's new truck. on-road associated's nitro tc3 is killer so is hpi's rs4. in my case im more into 1/8th scale buggies. theyre almost bullet-proof. the vid of the guy jumping a house with an rc is the main thing that got me in 1/8th scale. i have a gs storm buggy that i launched about 10 feet into the air. it landed about 25-30 ft from the ramp. 1/8th scale buggies rule

1 - 20 of 22 Posts