Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

im building a canopy for my 65 gallon, 36x18" and 24" tall... i was checking out materials at home depot today and im going to use 1x2" peices of wood to construct a rectangular box frame, then wall it up with some thin backing board stuff... i will also be mounting a fluorescent light in there...

my concern:
im not sure how much this will weight when finished, it wont be ridiculously heavy, but it'll have a fair number of pounds... is there some rule or something as to how heavy the canopy can be? i dont want to put too much weight on the tank from above...i am trying to build it as light as i can...

whats an average canopy weight for this size tank? or, am i being worried for nothing?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
no one can even give an estimate of their canopy and its dimensions to at least give me an idea?

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I have a scale, Ill weigh mine. give me a minute

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
why 24inch high?? mine is 10inch high and works great

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
So I weighed my canopy for my 75 gallon which is 49 inches long, 19 inches wide, and 8 inches tall. The dimensions of my tank itself is 48 X 18 and the height is of no consequence. The canopy is longer than the tank as it hangs over an inch or so, looks really nice.
The weight of the canopy is 30 lbs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts