Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I build my 150 gallon tank, do I build the tank first, all 5 sides of glass, then slide it into a frame and stabilize the frame with steel cross braces, OR do I build the frame, put in the bottom piece of glass, and start to silicone in sides one by one? It seems pretty tough either way to get 90 degree corners all the way around. I looked on SuperNate's site, and am still a little confused about it, also, how unsafe is 3/8 inch glass if it's 24" high? Is that just a factor of safety, or will it seriously break as soon as I fill my tank? If I can make my tank 24" high, that's an extra 30 gallons, a little more breathing room for the fishies. Hopefully some pros out there can help me!!

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
build the frame 1st, you use it to hold the glass in place while the silicone drys as well, 3/8" is a BIG risk, I wouldnt do it

just my opinion on the glass, but they make all 24" high tanks from 1/2" glass, just make the tank 20" deep and use 3/8" four inches isnt that much

·
Dodge City
10,206 Posts
Sir Nathan XXI said:
just my opinion on the glass, but they make all 24" high tanks from 1/2" glass, just make the tank 20" deep and use 3/8" four inches isnt that much
It's funny that I'm reading this and happen to look over at my
45 gal tank 36"l x24"h x12"w
I'm looking and never noticed that the glass was as thin as it is. lol.
It's only 1/4" and yes it's bowed a fair bit. It does have the center brace at the top and bottom of the tank.
I bought it used but just like new and wonder if maybe the glass is tempered?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts