Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27,337 Posts
The bubbles are most likely from not cleaning as grosse said. An airstone will not cause foamy bubbles on the top unless there is gunk in the water to allow it.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
did you add washing liquid?

·
Registered
698 Posts
"i have bubbles on the surface"

I don't see "foamy" anywhere in that sentence Xenon

But yah, dirty water (overfeeding, high ammonia) will cause it.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Ya know,
I just changed 20 percent of my water on Saturday, and now I noticed some foamy bubbles gathering around my bubbler. If I turn off the bubbler they go away. I just set this whole thing up with new filters and media on last Monday. It couldn't be time for a filter change already? The amonia and nitrate levels are fine. I wonder what is causing this. I have a penguin 330 filter in there. I'm sure there are some excess worms floating around in there.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Here found this bit of info on a web search:
Foam On Water Surface Foamy bubbles on surface of water. Protein breakdown from thrown slime coat, decaying fish and/or uneaten fish food. Use FOAM-OFF. If foam is not removed, fish may suffocate, since 90% of the oxygen transfer in water occurs at the surface of water.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Since this tank is only four days old, I have to ask. Do you have gravel in this tank? I will assume you do. If so, did you wash the gravel before putting it in the tank? How did you wash/rinse it?

Do the fish appear to be stressed?

Was the setup completely new or were some components used?

I bought a used setup once that the previous owner had tried to clean up with shampoo! This is why I asked. The first time I added water to it you could have done dishes in it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts