Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning i noticed my water was becomming cloudy. On the rocks and top of the sand and on the sides of the tank is a brownish growth. I am assuming this is an algae bloom. But my plants have been slowly turning brown over the past day or two. does the algae kill them? i have about 8X filtration, 75 gal tank with 6 3.5' caribe. my nitrites have been a little high so i have been doing water changes every other day, about 40%. I also notice one p with what looked like Ich so i sent in some meds and took out my carbon filters. so whats up? are my plants going to die? is it ok for my fish for another day?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Well to tell you the truth when I do alot of water changes it really messes up my Bio system. Do you have any CO2 for the plants?

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Brownish algae, Doatoms, seldom kill plants. As that algae group is quite easy to clean, just do mechanical cleanings. We need to know some more info too.
What is your lighting, type and watage, how long on and off per day?
What is the nitrate level and pH of your water?

Harry

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
This morning i noticed my water was becomming cloudy. On the rocks and top of the sand and on the sides of the tank is a brownish growth. I am assuming this is an algae bloom. But my plants have been slowly turning brown over the past day or two. does the algae kill them? i have about 8X filtration, 75 gal tank with 6 3.5' caribe. my nitrites have been a little high so i have been doing water changes every other day, about 40%. I also notice one p with what looked like Ich so i sent in some meds and took out my carbon filters. so whats up? are my plants going to die? is it ok for my fish for another day?
The algae is most likely diatoms...common form of algae that every new tank gets. Brush it off as much as possible from any exposed areas and then continue with water changes. Also, rinse off any filter media in a bucket of tank water. This will tackle the immediate problem of brown algae.

Cloudy water could be due to several things...could be a bacteral bloom. If it is make sure you dont overfeed and clean up any leftovers.....could be uneaten food hiding behind a deco or in your substrate. Give the substarte a good cleaning to be sure.

The fact that your plants are turning brown could just be that they are covered in the above mentioned diatoms....brush them off. If the plants are turning brown because there are dying, then you need to post your specs on the tank. Need to know lighting params, substrate and if you are dosing ferts.

For the ich....there are medications available to you that you can buy at your LFS to cure it.

Lol..sorry Harry....i was writing all this out when you posted haha...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts