Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm feeding them microworms as well as baby brine shrimp, I mix it up or whichever one I feel like feeding them. I do find that they enjoy chasing around the baby brine shrimp.

Ricardo, when it comes to water changes, keeping the water as clean as possible is your goal so that there is no build up of ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. Before I put in my automatic water change system in, I did water changes of 25-35% every other day with pre-treated, dechlorinated, aged water at the same temperature as the fry tank is at.

·
Registered
50 Posts
ok thanks stryfemp ill do the aged water and dechlorinice it before i change the 35% water ill try the microworms thank you

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just getting in on the conversation about water changes...... Ive been using water from my adult's tank to top up after water changes, is there someting wrong with this that i'm not thinking of?? My reasoning behind this is that my tap water has a pH of about 8+ and my tank water is closer to 6, I also have in my adult tank about 0.5 ammonium, so if I were to use tap water to do a water change, not only would the pH go up, but the ammonium would convert into ammonia, and prob kill the fry. my question is .... why use tap water when you can used aged water from the parents tank?? Just a thought...........

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well using aged dechlorinated water would have a stable pH compared to fresh treated tap water. I used to use water from my main tank for water changes on my fry tank, it didn't work out too well for me and have had many fry die because of it. I figure that the water in the parent tank, even if it is aged and pH stable, there is already ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates in the water; so you're adding that to an already polluted tank water of the fry, which I believe still isn't as clean of water as new, aged treated tap. imho.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd say they are probably 6+ inches. These were my very first fish from long ago, before I knew anything about health or what not in caring for piranhas. They are stunted and I doubt they will get much bigger then where they are at now. I have 3 pairs btw.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Please don't take this the wrong way, as i have always wanted my p's to breed. But what are you plans with all of those fry?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My plan is to keep the strongest and healthiest ones for future breeding projects; basically just got my personal collection. Honestly, through my experience there's not much money to be made in breeding reds, so this will probably be the last batches I'll be working on. I'm getting some beautiful adult discus later on tonight and that will be my next project. Oh yea, I'll be culling the weakest ones as well.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
That's pretty cool. So you are trying to breed out the ones with the stronges charecteristics? What are you looking for? Color, Agression?
I think that is anawsome Idea mabe take the hobby into a whoe new direction.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Exactly. I'm looking for speed of growth, aggression, physical traits like thickness and overall appearance, color, and dominance.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Picture update: The fry are doing well and I haven't experience that many deaths. The 2 pairs, my big fish, that I was putting up for sale have bred and I have a couple sets of fresh eggs waiting to hatch added to my r/o setup. I haven't been cleaning that tank as of late and have been keeping the light on 24/7 so there's green algae growing on the sides of the tanks.

Batch 2:
View attachment 160940
View attachment 160941
View attachment 160942
View attachment 160943
View attachment 160947
View attachment 160952

Batch 1:
View attachment 160944
View attachment 160945
View attachment 160946
View attachment 160948
View attachment 160953
^^^You can guess how many there are in this one 10gallon tank.
View attachment 160954
View attachment 160955
View attachment 160956

Fresh/New Batch: (There's 2 different sets in this 1 tank.)
View attachment 160949
View attachment 160950
View attachment 160951

As you can see from the pictures, the fry are developing nicely. I've made it a point to make microworms their main diet in the beginning and it has worked well for me. I haven't really been feeding them fresh hatched baby brine shrimp, only every once in a while as I enjoy watching them chase after the bbs. Along with the microworms, in this stage of the fry's development, I am feeding them decapsulated brine shrimp eggs as well. And oh yea, as of a few days ago; I'm the proud owner of 5 actively breeding pairs of reds. lol, just had to say it. It's quite a sight to see my big fish going at it, it's like a super sized version of my other pairs, haha, quite entertaining.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I found a big guy, incredibly more developed than my others. He's my monster, check him out in this picture. Couldn't get a clear picture of him because he kept darting around but he is significantly bigger than the rest of the packs. This guys definitely a keeper.

View attachment 161021

1 - 20 of 42 Posts