Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts
Hey,

Just woundering if anyone have or had successful with breeding a pair of Tern. Or know anyone does, link, who, etc.....

The last time some said it been successful with them once in aqaurium with a p-fury member be a long time ago..just don't remember who.

Will this work!..I'm getting 4 Tern tomm. 2 will be 6" other 2 8"...now I know these are not mature and fully adult yet, because the owner has them less then a year old since their are 1"..

I will put (2) one 6" and 8" in 120g...(assuming 8" are female, but not so sure...) and other 2 will be in 75g...until i upgrage it to 125g....

First I will introduce the pair in the same tank with a divider!..to see if they will be aggressive toward each other or not. if it look good, with no aggression toward each other I will take the divider out and keep my eyes on them. I know 2 pygo together are not safe, but you never know unless you try it. If this doesn't work I will swicth the pair up and reintroduce them again.

Will have plenty of hiding place, plants and driftwood...I'll keep my temp around 78f so their wont get to aggressive toward one another. Do 30-50% water change weekly and feed them variety different food.

This will not success any time soon or later, or maybe will not work at all...but I would like try it, have them untill their are fully grown and mature enough to breed "if possible"...

What you guys/gurls think of this?

Should I keep all 4 tern together in my 120g...demension 4x2x2...or take the risk of breeding them.???
any input, comment, suggestion, I appreciated in advance. Here are those tern.

Attachments

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
I would put all 4 in the 120 IMO. There is plenty of space for them. Until you get them to be a proven female or male, and have no idea which is which yet, I would leave all 4. I have seen a well know breeder here on the site have 2 proven pairs of reds between 10-12" in a 120. Worked great. Had both pairs breeding constantly. Terns are about the same as reds, although not known to breed much if ever in captivity. This has been brought up many many times, and not one person has ever mentioned them breeding in captivity. I have heard of a tern breeding with a red, but never 2 terns. The fry were just like reds. I would like to see a link to show where Pedro has breeding terns. I have to see to belive.

·
4,364 Posts
the Breeding terns are in a 29 gallon Holding tank.

No decore.
What the hell are they doing in a holding tank? You would think that for someone who claims to have a pair of terns that breed, or have even bred once for that matter, that they would have thier own huge tank. Guess this proves my point. IMO...pedro has a pair of breeding nattereri...reds. Not terns. If he did...you would think that he would give more of a sh*t than he obviously does. I'm gonna call this one a myth....as I thought.

Dawgz....I have a pair of piraya that breed. When the fry hatch, some are cariba, some reds, some terns, and a few piraya.

What I am saying is, have you seen them breed? Are you sure they are terns? Seen fry? Anything?

Don't belive everything that you breathe!!!

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would put all 4 in the 120 IMO. There is plenty of space for them. Until you get them to be a proven female or male, and have no idea which is which yet, I would leave all 4. I have seen a well know breeder here on the site have 2 proven pairs between 10-12" in a 120. Worked great. Had both pairs breeding constantly. Terns are about the same as reds, although not know to breed much if ever in captivity. This has been brough up many many times, and not one person has ever mentioned them breeding in captivity. I have heard of a tern breeding with a red, but never 2 terns. The fry were just like reds. I would like to see a link to show where Pedro has breeding terns. I have to see to belive.
Are you serious? that is impossible for Tern to cross bred with Red..

·
4,364 Posts
No it is not imposible. Dr. giggles was telling me about it. And I think another guy here had a tern that showed breeding signs while in with a bunch of reds, but never actualy finised the job. It has been done. They just look like normal reds. I mean they are the same species....right? Both nattereri. A human is a human...right. A black guy can breed a white girl....right. Same concept. just harder to get them to breed.

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
the Breeding terns are in a 29 gallon Holding tank.

No decore.
What the hell are they doing in a holding tank? You would think that for someone who claims to have a pair of terns that breed, or have even bred once for that matter, that they would have thier own huge tank. Guess this proves my point. IMO...pedro has a pair of breeding nattereri...reds. Not terns. If he did...you would think that he would give more of a sh*t than he obviously does. I'm gonna call this one a myth....as I thought.

Dawgz....I have a pair of piraya that breed. When the fry hatch, some are cariba, some reds, some terns, and a few piraya.

What I am saying is, have you seen them breed? Are you sure they are terns? Seen fry? Anything?

Don't belive everything that you breathe!!!
Ever see the show MythBusters? The reason why Dawgz spoke is because he HAS SEEN IT FIRST HAND. He's been to AquaScape (both being from Jersey) and have seen the pair in their holding tank. They did the nasty but she wouldn't lay the eggs so we moved them to a holding tank to make room for a couple of huge shipments. I was in the process of setting up a 150 only to have it leak on me, so I'm waiting on Pedro to redo the plumbing for me so I can try again. I'll post some pics. Myth BUSTED!!!

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
I forgot to mention that I believe these are from Paraguay. I added them into the tank of our other terns that are for sale so you can see the diff in size. The ones for sale are 5-6in

Attachments

·
4,364 Posts
Well, if she didn't lay the eggs, then they didn't breed. If you didn't get any fry or eggs laid, they didn't breed. So for now, I am still going to say that nobody has SUCCESSFULY bred terns in captivity. Until those eggs are laid anyways. Good luck. If you do get them to breed, let me know. I would love some fry from the first batch of captive terns.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.