Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have in my 10g a pair of patys and the female is very pregnat said the woman at the lfs. and i also have a pair of guppys ....what do i do when they have babies? hwat do i feed? do i need plants for them to hide in?

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Hey, you mean PLATY .. i think you forgot the "L" unless you are talking about a burger

...You should seperate the fry and the other fish if you want them to survive... you could get a breeding net to put them in as well
good luck

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
they do like bushy plants, and also you can grind down your fish foods to feed them with.
other than that just keep the water good with no major changes and they should do great

Oh, also I do not reccomend you keep the baby guppys with the baby plattys while they are really young - it always seems to end up just guppys or just plattys

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
I keep my baby platies in about 16 ounces of water in a little see-thru plastic container with no aeration or filter ( i just siphon the water every day) and theyre doing fine

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
I would reccomend you use a breeding net, but also add plants to that net

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree with Innes, you need to seperate the mother Guppy or Platy and then when she's done birthing seperate the mother from the babies. If you have a small tank, like a 5 or 10 gallon full of plants this works great as a birthing tank and transition to a grow out tank. It also doesn't stress the mother as much as a net does. When you first put the mother in a net she will act totally stressed out. Plants and having the lights off will help her to adjust to being in the net. Good luck, hope it goes well for you.
mak

1 - 7 of 7 Posts