Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
949 Posts
psychofish21 said:
I was wondering how I breed African Cichlids.
Is it as easy as breeding cons???
[snapback]850475[/snapback]​
Depends on species. I will assume you have haps or mbuna which are mouthbrooders. Definately not as easy as breeding cons. Put a species up and we can post some more details regarding the breeding habbits.

· Too tasty to give up.
6,754 Posts
Nice to see we have an informed cichlid enthusiast back.

· Registered
5,349 Posts
most cichlids need the water the right ph. and be feed alot. and have plenty of hiding spaces.

· Registered
39 Posts
basicly u need a male an female lmao an then u need with some africans a ph of 8.2-8.4 something u can get it lower but if there walmart fish there mbuna an ushually hybrids between some two an then there babies soo u need to give them some time to mature an they ushually start breeding around 4inches in most AN HOLD EGGS an will not spt eggs or babies if they feel threaten by other fish.

· Registered
506 Posts
For getting really any african cichlid to breed I: Raise the ph, by throwing in a few hundred shells(only $5 for me) Then when you get a ph of 7.8 to 8.6 that's pretty good. Keep it in the 8 range. Then build many caves and have some rock formations(and make sure to read up what they live and breed in, some africans breed in shells and live in caves Ex. Lamprologus Caudopunctatus). Feed them live foods, a higher temperature than normal(78-81 IMO), and 1-2 water changes a week about 20% water change(make sure that the fish is NOT sensitive to water changes, like Julidochromis, which may die if the water change is large enough). Make sure you have opposite sex fish in the tank. When they pair up remove the extras(that's if you don't get a breeding pair and get a small group)....Breeding africans may take some time so do NOT become impatient. And most of all have fun....
That's what I use and it's worked so far...Just remember to use google and see wat else helps.
*Edit* Oh and it's definately not as easy as cons...You don't breed cons they breed them selfs. Now africans may need some help to get them going.

G

·
If you got the fish from Wal-mart, chances are you got at least a few Zebras. You need to make sure that all the fish look similar so you know you probably got the same/similar species. Statistically, if you have 6 or 7 of the same type you should definitely have a male and a female. You need to have rocks and caves, and preferrably at least one large flat rock on the bottom. Actually seeing Africans spawn is rare, but if you watch that flat rock on the bottom, there's a good chance of it happening right there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.