Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm already an experienced fish keeper, but am about to get my first piranha in a week or so.

I'm trying to decide between an Altuvei or a Brandti. A 55gal is going to be the PERMANENT home.

I wanted your opinions as to which one you guys think I should get. I'm looking for the most aggressive and least shy. Also which one looks the best and most unique in the long run.

All advice and opinions are welcome and appreciated!

· Danse Macabre!
9,834 Posts
The altuvie would be most unique but would be too large for the 55 gallon. A bradti could do well in there for life but when it gets bigger (9 inches) I doubt I'd want to keep him in a 55 gallon. You'd be better off with a 50 gallon but if the tank is already purchased then I wouldn't sweat it too much.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I doubt I'd want to keep him in a 55 gallon. You'd be better off with a 50 gallon but if the tank is already purchased then I wouldn't sweat it too much.
[snapback]870783[/snapback]​
[/quote]
OK, I'm confused...
Why would I want to put the fish in a smaller tank once it gets bigger???

I've read that both have a max size of 9"...

Which one is more aggressive?

· Danse Macabre!
9,834 Posts
The 50 gallon is not a smaller tank, it is a tank that holds 5 less gallons of water in terms of volume, but the 50 has a larger footprint that is more accomodating to a 9 inch fish.

55 - 48 x 12

50 - 36 x 18

The 50 not only has more space, but gives the fish more room to turn around comfortably in rather than squeezing it into a long and narrow tank.

· Registered
11 Posts
OK, I see now. Didn't think of it that way.
Yes, I already have the 55 so...

Now, back to the aggression question. I know Altuvei's are VERY aggressive, but how are Brandti's in comparison????

Also, what is the max size of an Altuvei???
The species info on this site says that the Brandtii gets up to 12" and the Altuvei only gets to 9". Which is it????

· Danse Macabre!
9,834 Posts
The brandtii will grow bigger than the altuvei.

As for aggression, that's down to the specific fish. There really isn't any known aggression levels between species where you can say "this species is more aggressive than this other one" it's just a matter of hopefully getting a fish who's personality you like.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[quote name='elTwitcho' date='Jan 30 2005, 09:04 PM']
The brandtii will grow bigger than the altuvei.

OK, I'm confused again. Because in the above reply, you said the Altuvei would grow too large for a 55gal. But, now you're telling me the Brandtii will grow bigger than the Altuvei.

· Registered
639 Posts
Have you considered an Irritan? A 55g would make a great home for an Irritan, for life.

Also, don't base your decision on "aggression" because you may or may not find yourself dissapointed, irregaurdless of what fish specie you decide to get. Base your decision on which species you like the most, not based on it's general aggression. You'll be happier in the long run this way, and with any luck, you'll get an aggressive fish of the species you like the most.

· Registered
1,900 Posts
welcome to the forum!!!!! i think that either would be awsome. i would get the altuvi cuz i think it is more rare. but i would consider getting an irritan. they can stay in a 55 for life, super active fish and every one that i ahve owned is super aggressive. mine kill anything that is dropped into the water. it is just awsome.

· Registered
18,153 Posts
USMCSS said:
What was so bad about your Altuvei?
[snapback]871282[/snapback]​
I guess it didn't felt like killing everything within a 10 mile radius within 3 days

As some have already said, don't base your choice on reputation and agression - for every bad-ass there's a timid fish, so it's really a matter of ending up with a fish that would meet agression standards.
Instead, pick the fish you like most based on appearance and desirability - of course within the limits of care you can provide (in other words, if upgrading is no option, don't get a fish that grows larger than about 8-9", as it will eventually outgrow your tank). Even if it turns out to be a somewhat shy fish, at least you have a showpiece fish!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.