Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm not sure if this topic should go here or not, if not please direct it to the right place.

Like I mentioned before, Driftwood are very expensive..... I visit my mom's place and she has a ton of branches ranging from 1-2 feet all cut down. She had this laying around for a couple of months because she was going to use it to throw it in the fireplace to burn. I asked her if I could take a few, she was fine with it.

Anyways, long story short... I started with 18 pieces about 2 feet long and boiled it in hot water for 2 hours straight. I was getting a tea like yellowish brown color in the big pot. I have read about boiling driftwood but not branches. So I take it 2 hours of boiling is good enough to kill the bacterias.

I then, used Fastening Screws 1 1/4'' and drilled them together at an angle. I did a few and it didn't look bad at all. I am really impressed. Although I should use black or brown color fastening screws but I went with silver. So I had it put in the tank over night with the fish and they loved it. They'll swim in it, eat food that drops near it. They just love it.

I went to work and came back, and I noticed these water like clear bump on them. Like it's giving off some sort of bubble. Not sure what that is. I'm here to ask for knowledge about it. Is it safe? Can it hurt the fish?
I did boiled it for 2 hours, I hope it's not bacteria. So far, I'm monitoring them very closely and it's not a problem. I'm also researching over the internet about it also, but if you have the knowledge to explain, please do. Thanks.

Pictures below.

Water Light Pet supply Plant Organism
Plant Water Pet supply Lighting Wood
Plant Wood Branch Twig Gesture

I know the branches looks ugly right now at the moment, I'm reading this article on how to put willow moss on driftwood, so I have plans to put willow moss on my branches and wrap it around with green cotton thread which will melt away when the moss start to grow. But I would just like to be on the safe side and find out about that leaking bubble thing.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
450 Posts
i dont kno about the branches but are the screws stainless steel.....if not i'm sure they will rust over time

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
The bubbles are most likely just oxygen leaking out of small holes in the wood, etc.. nothing to be worried about.

As for the moss, you may want to use fishing line instead, sometimes the thread will melt away before the willow moss attaches to the wood.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bubbles are most likely just oxygen leaking out of small holes in the wood, etc.. nothing to be worried about.

As for the moss, you may want to use fishing line instead, sometimes the thread will melt away before the willow moss attaches to the wood.
Good info to know, at first I had planned on using 6lbs clean fish line but after reading the article, it explained how to do it the right way.. I might end up using fish line if I can't get a hold of green cotton strings. And thanks for the information about the bubble being oxygen. I feel a bit more comfortable now. And yes, it is stainless steel.

Good looking out

·
Registered
4,114 Posts

Good info to know, at first I had planned on using 6lbs clean fish line but after reading the article, it explained how to do it the right way.. I might end up using fish line if I can't get a hold of green cotton strings. And thanks for the information about the bubble being oxygen. I feel a bit more comfortable now. And yes, it is stainless steel.

Good looking out

[/quote]

If you are really set on the cotton string go to any sewing place and they will have it... JoAnn Fabrics, Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc... plus at those places you will almost be able to match the exact color you want.

Also, as much of a pain as this is going to sound like... you are going to want to take the wood back of your tank in order to put the moss on... it is almost impossible to tie knots under water from my experiences of trying it.

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
looks good man. the only concern i would have is that the branches would not allow easy cleaning of that area, otherwise i think it's awesome.

·
Registered
132 Posts
thats a really good idea, i might just try that myself..

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
lI lost a sjoal of six reds by putting sticks inside the tank from mr backyard....I will be wise and tank them out :nod:

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Yeah listen to what Jim99 said about the sticks from his backyard if you can read it LOL just playin. Just be real careful with that lamp that you have holding onto the side of your tank. Looks like it may fall in. Just be careful with water and electricity especially if your gonna be working in the water alot. With moss those branches will look fantastic.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
your asking for sap and nutriense to leach out into your water and kill off your fish!!!!!!
it will happen sooner or later. just ask piranha dude, he learned the hard way.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
IM not even playing.....the piece I put in there lasted like 20 mins then the water got really foamy.....my ammonium went up and killed all my babies.....very sad day for me

I would take them out and go to your lfs and buy reg driftwood :nod:

G

·
Freshly cut wood and dead wood is very different from driftwood! It may still contain sap, and it WILL break apart and rot in your tank. Trust me, you do not want "branches" in your tank unless theyve been floating around a lake for a few years!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Looks nice but there's no way I would chance using freshly cut branches in my tank boiled or not....You are taking the chance of losing all fish you put in the tank..It takes a lot longer than 2 hours in the water for everything to safely leach out of wood....

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
i have to agree man.....those branches look pretty damn wicked, and forsure ill probably steal that idea this summer LOL..
....i wouldnt really trust all the sap, or nutrients, or what not that can leak out....on the other hand....most of you guys missed about his "moss"...i was in the same boat...i had a nice branch type thing in my 10g (thank god i didnt put it in my other tank)....it grew big patches of this clear bubble type thing....i tried to grab it in water and it didnt work, and when i pulled the branch out, the clear stuff secreted off the branch and remained in the water....my brach was filled with odeurs...wasnt too pleasent....and i was surprised my pufferes survived that....anyways...i wouldnt take a chance man....even tho it looks phat your set-up....i wouldnt want to risk my fish's lives

·
AQHU RULES
4,609 Posts
if you have boilied the wood then there shuldnt be a problem, although algae will grow on the wood anyway,

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I changed my mind on the branches and stick idea after having it in my tank for about a week. Too difficult to clean. Over the weekend, I went fishing at a nearby small lake and found a ton of dried out driftwoods. I didn't have my battery saw zaw, so I just broke pieces of 8-14 inchs and threw them in my backpack and took it home. I haven't done anything to them as far as boiling it, soaking it. But I'm going to go back this weekend with my saw zaw and cut huge pieces off. ( The driftwood are just laying there, I did not harm any trees or killed any, It looks like that land had caught on fire a few years ago and there's just driftwoods all over the ground )

So I'm looking forward to that over the weekend that's coming up. I'll take some pictures of how the land look like also. But for now, it's my secret spot for picking up driftwoods

Also, I'm going to throw away the moss ball after I splice into it and see what's it all about. LOL

G

·
if you have boilied the wood then there shuldnt be a problem, although algae will grow on the wood anyway,
No offense man, but are you sure of that? Have you been told that by a credible source? Do you have any experience with it?

Because just throwing advice like that out there can cause the person you are helping a lot of pain and a lot of money. just boiling a branch doesnt make it tank safe...actually all it does is cause the wood to rot faster.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts