Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well today i was at the fish store, and i saw a cool little puffer that i am going to get tomorrow.. he is only 6 dollars, and i have a 15gallon that is not being used currently, so i decided that i would buy him, so i have the salt concentration and all that set up, and the tank has already cycled and whatnot, so i am wondering what other fishes i should look into putting with the little puffer fella...

what brackish water fishes do you guys (gals) have?

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
well first, are you sure your water is at .o10 salt slanity?

is the temp at 80 degrees?

has your tank cycled with the new salt water?

after you ahve most of that down i think you should get the puffer, then wait a while then get a bumble bee goby, or a knight goby

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes, everything is cycled and the temp is now rising to 80... i picked out the puffer the other day and i am picking him up tomorrow night...

can 2 little puffers live togather? i read that they are pretty mild tempered, but can be agressive toward their own kind

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
other brackish tolerant fish include:
*bubmlebee gobys
*mollies
*scats - I believe this species may need full saltwater when adult
*monos - I believe this species may need full saltwater when adult
*some puffer species
*kribs
*pearl gouramy (I think)
*some spiney eel species
*possibly the "freshwater moray" species

and more

I have never really been into brackish so I never really looked into which fish will tolerate brackish water (just those I couldn't add to my freshwater tank)

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i am lookin into getting a flounder too... i think it would be cool to have a couple of puffers and a flounder

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
nasty typhoon said:
If im not mistakin' i thought that puffers were territorial fish they are bullies to other fish
some puffers will live in harmony in a tank with many plants and hiding spots to mark out territory's

i wouldnt keep a puffer with a floundwer cause the puffer will nip the fins and hurt it

·
Registered
173 Posts
Depends on the pufer. Some are really mean and others are kick back never hurt anything. Some of the meaner ones are the ceylon and red eyed puffers and some time the figure 8's. The others are mabu puffers, spotted puffers, dwarf india puffers, and some avocado puffers all of the mild one can be mixed. If you have any of the agressive puffers I would stay away from gobbies and stay with fast moving fish ie:monos and scats. Also I have seen archer fish and some mean bastards called target fish in a bracish tank.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Green spotted - there not hard to find there cheap and there pretty calm. BUT the catch is they need full salt when they mature. they can live for about 3-4 years in brackish though.

·
Registered
829 Posts
i got 2 figure eight puffers, 1 green spotted puffer, 6 bumblebee goby's, 1 archer, and 2 mollys (both pregnant)

all live together fine, but when i first added the green spotted puffer, he chased and nipped at the other fish, but soon calmed down

i'm a little worried abou the archer eating the bb goby's, but luckily he hasn't eaten any yet!

29 gal tank - crushed coral for substrate, 250 watt sub-heater, bubbler, and running 1 fluval 304 cannister filter

i feed...

>bloodworms - all fish eat this
>flakes - just for the mollies
>sun dried gammarus (shrimp) - for puffers (they didnt eat them at first, but soon took a liking)
>snails - for the puffers
>ghost shrimp - for the puffers
>molly fry which the archer loves to eat

1 - 13 of 13 Posts